• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ball python question.

Pet Corn Snake

hey everyone, I keep my royal on newspaper, however I'm always trying to make my enclosures natural looking... I had an idea, I have loads of 50%top-soil, 50% childrens play sand mix spare from my tortoise enclosure, and I was thinking if I add some aspen into it, would that be okay for a royal? It will be a sandy/soil with aspen to make it less sandy

Personally I wouldn't mainly because aspen isn't used for humidity, I would use eco-earth, it comes in compressed blocks and is brilliant for humidity (Y) hoped I helped =]

Thanks joel, I have asked around a few other sites, so I'll see the feedback first, then if no-one likes the idea, ill look into different substrate, thanks for your suggestion :)

I'd second what Joel said about the Eco-Earth. I use it for my Ball (He was problem shedder). I kept him on Aspen for the first few months I had him, but even with a humid hide I couldn't get him through complete sheds.

So, I replaced the Aspen with Eco-Earth and I've not had a problem since. Sheds are complete, it holds humidity forever, and it helps keep things warmer than aspen.

And, I think it looks natural as well, though I'd advise against feeding on it. It's very small particles.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

I have gone with the aspen/newspaper bedding. I'm guessing this is better then just newspaper on its own, and she's shed 2 times with just newspaper bedding a tank misting :)

Cheers everyone :)

I'm a little late, but...I am also a HUGE fan of Eco Earth. I use it for all my boids both at home and at work, and have never had a problem keeping humidity levels right or with shedding. Plus...it looks FANTATIC, and is a nice, natural element. Also...it contains natural tannins that help to reduce bacterial growth. And not just Eco Earth, but any of the brick-type shredded coconut fiber substrates...they are all the same.

As a matter of fact, I have switched all of my colubrids at home from aspen to dry coconut bark chunks. I just REALLY like using coconut susbtrates. Aspen, even with as little dust as it contains, was a serious issue with my daughter's asthma, and she has not had an issue since switching to coconut...

Back