• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

RI Treatment (How-to)

Yup. I'm trolling. I'm suggesting a reptile vet, instead of a dangerous, un-researched treatment. I'm weird. I'm speaking out against, a home remedy some people posted on a forum, that I'm assuming aren't vets. I'm trolling because I don't want people who have no experience with snakes to get their first snake, determine it has an RI, find your thread, and throw it in a pillow case next to a boiling stew of human treatments. I guess I don't even care about the animals at all.........

David,
In case you haven't been reading, I'm not the first one to have tried this method and it wasn't my original idea, I just thought it be interesting information to pass along to members on a community that I am apart of. As far as calling it a "how-to" I still agree that's what it is, it's an informational thread with pictures and details on what I did in a chronological order. Also, you've made your point how you disagree with my methods in the last however many posts you made, so at this point, I've just decided you're intentionally being a troll, trying to start an argument and are therefore no long even worth my time to respond to. Have a nice day.

And thank you for doing so.

RI treatment and consult at my Vet(not my regular Vet and also the "expensive Vet) came to $105 with taxes. Well worth it in my opinion, FlameStrike is back to 100%. I have heard of people taking the snakes into the shower with the steam to help clear things up.
There are lots of "home" remidies that work and don't work.

I'm late to this party I guess, but I'm just chiming in that when I needed RI treatment for my little hognose my vet bill came to under $100...and I go to a pretty pricey vet for my herps. Excellent price for the peace of mind.

That's my point. You have a lot of risk and very little reward with your treatment. Please take it to a vet.

David, these are all the quotes in which I found you stating that you suggest taking the snake to a vet, and how dangerous you feel the treatment is. Your point has been made, as you can see, many times over. You can stand back and not keep beating a dead horse. The op will choose to do what they choose to do.

The only reason that I keep coming to this thread is to see if there is any progress on the snakes. But instead, I just keep seeing you repeat yourself, over and over and over again. We understand your issue with this treatment, your issue is the same as many people in this thread. I agree that taking the snakes to a vet and getting an antibiotic would be the best thing to do. But please, allow this thread to continue without the continuing of calling names and throwing your opinion around about this treatment... Not that your opinion isn't any better or worse than anyone elses.... Its just that you have stated it multiple times, and it is making reading this thread very annoying for those of us who want to see the outcome.

Here's my thing. A reptile vet is easily accessible, F10 is even easier to get. The boiling water, human grade medicines, etc. It's all reckless! You bought the animals, take responsibility and get them to a vet. Who knows, the Vicks may cause lung damage down the road. Snakes only have one lung not two. Well one functioning lung. Extreme caution should be taken when dealing with something like that. I would prefer to pay the vet bill, than make some ghetto half-science mixture some forum people suggested and put it into practice.

Here’s my issue, as I have stated many times. Someone who has had snakes less than a year, is telling people how to treat their snake with boiling water, and human medication. I’m weird…… I react so strongly because I see too many new people to the hobby try and do this instead of go to the vet. I’ve been doing this 10 years. I know how to dose fenbendazole, metronidazole, etc and keep them at my house. I still call my vet before I use anything. I’ve treated RIs that were in the beginning stages without any meds. If you have to resort to meds, you need to see a vet. As I said, ghetto half-science, that’s exactly what that was. It’s not the nicest term, but it’s what it was. I mean, you’re putting the snakes in bags and boiling a cup of water and putting it next to them. What if one of those snakes move in that bag and tips that thing of water? I’ve seen tons of snakes move a bag. I mean it’s such an unsafe method, and you’re telling people to do it (hence the how-to). I mean so much can go wrong with that method, it’s shocking to me more people aren’t upset. I mean you’re putting the snakes in close contact, as well, which opens up a whole new can of worms. To me, it seems reckless, and quite unsafe.

That's my other issue! It's so risky, that it's just plain reckless. Especially with big snakes.

Thank you, Nanci and Janine! Crypto is fatal so it's worth a shot to try something new, RIs are treatable and right now that snake could be on the road to recovery instead of having some reckless bootleg interwebz treatment.

Again, I will stick with my original opinion, that it is a reckless (don't know how to better describe it) treatment that I think may cause damage to the snake. You're a relative newbie, and I really suggest you take the snake to the vet ASAP. You may be helping the snake breath, but there are bacteria that could (I should say are), living inside the snake still, that are going to cause issues. Why risk your snakes lives and not go to the vet. I mean every time I've gone for an RI it's around $150. That's not a whole lot.....

Yup. I'm trolling. I'm suggesting a reptile vet, instead of a dangerous, un-researched treatment. I'm weird. I'm speaking out against, a home remedy some people posted on a forum, that I'm assuming aren't vets. I'm trolling because I don't want people who have no experience with snakes to get their first snake, determine it has an RI, find your thread, and throw it in a pillow case next to a boiling stew of human treatments. I guess I don't even care about the animals at all.........

So when someone like Beth for example posts her opinion 100 times in a thread on co-habbing, it's not annoying. This is a forum, where you're supposed to speak your opinions, values, and sometimes just plain rant. That's the point of a forum.

In the last 2 years, I've seen so much ignorance and so many people telling me "Oh yeah, I saw in on a forum.". It's crazy to me, how much bad information floats around the herp community. I saw this thread as a recipt for disaster. Which is why I spoke my opinion so strongly. If that annoys people, I'm very sorry, but that's how I roll. I'm an opinionated individual, and I would hope on a forum I was allowed to express that. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine, but please don't tell me I cannot speak my opinion.

No one is saying that you cannot speak your opinion. Aaron was nicely trying to point out that you've repeated the same thing over and over again, and we get the hint. We already know you find the practice 'reckless'. How many times do you need to say it over and over and over and over and over.......
WE KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. Repeating it isn't going to do ANYTHING. We saw it, we moved on, we know.

- understand that, but if that's the case, why does no one say anything to other members when they repeat their opinion over and over and over again in threads on other issues?

I have yet to observe anyone else here repeating the same sentence over and over in a similar manner. People may bring up other points as to why they don't agree, but then they are adding value into the discussion/argument.
When other people become inflammatory, they DO get chastised by the moderators. Just ask Beth. ;)

David, Last time I checked, Beth does seem to get in trouble quite a bit for repeating what she says, over and over and over again in the cohab threads... And yes, it does get annoying from time to time. I am sure that she has many more slaps from Mod's than you do about it also.

I understand that you are passionate about trying to get the correct information out there and I have nothing but respect for that. But, there is only so many times you can repeat yourself before you start sounding like a 14 year old kid with a stick up your butt (you are not the only one that this applies to).

Honestly, Tara said it better than I can, I seem to just cause more argument when I talk...

I keep coming back to see the progression of the RI treatment and thread for the last 4 pages has been nothing but that...........Let people form their own opinions about something and stop trying to shove your opinion down everyone's throat.(Carinata)......Look back over history and think about how something that was not correct for years, is now the norm.......Ice cream led to polio, the world was flat....etc..... all examples of how SOME people's thinking was so wrong for such a long time..........Without trial and error, some things will never be proven to work or not work.........If this does prove to be a vet approved method, are you still gonna be dead set against it?.......I agree there are safer ways to try the method, but in theory it seems like it has some validity......

I keep coming back to see the progression of the RI treatment and thread for the last 4 pages has been nothing but that...........Let people form their own opinions about something and stop trying to shove your opinion down everyone's throat.(Carinata)......Look back over history and think about how something that was not correct for years, is now the norm.......Ice cream led to polio, the world was flat....etc..... all examples of how SOME people's thinking was so wrong for such a long time..........Without trial and error, some things will never be proven to work or not work.........If this does prove to be a vet approved method, are you still gonna be dead set against it?.......I agree there are safer ways to try the method, but in theory it seems like it has some validity......

You see opinions are the basis of a forums as well as pure knowledge, But singling out and personal attack will not be. I hope this is clear?

Back