• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What to look for in a Lavender?

Aquilegia

Rodent Paradox
I currently have one corn, an amel I got about three months ago. I absolutely love him, and am in the market for another - my mom rather likes the snake, and the parents have realized that I actually am willing to do all the work. ;)

I've fallen in love with lavenders, so though they're expensive I'm looking for one of those. I want to start young this time, though, so my question is what to look for in a hatchling if I want the adult to be as "purplish" as possible. I know it's sometimes difficult to predict things like this, but I've seen photos of hatchlings that are either quite dark (brown, almost) or very light, so I was wondering if I should go for one extreme or the other.

Also, if anyone happens to have any lavenders available, please let me know - I probably won't be purchasing for a few months at least while I gather the money, but I'd like to start looking now. Thanks!

Just as an FYI, lavenders are not expensive. You can easily get a lavender for under $50.

If you could tell me where to find a lavender for less than $50, it'd make me very happy. I've been seeing $60-$100.

Even that's expensive for me, you know - I'm a kid, I don't have a job, blah blah blah.

Aquilegia said:
I want to start young this time, though, so my question is what to look for in a hatchling if I want the adult to be as "purplish" as possible. I know it's sometimes difficult to predict things like this, but I've seen photos of hatchlings that are either quite dark (brown, almost) or very light, so I was wondering if I should go for one extreme or the other.
I would also like to know.

Aquilegia said:
so my question is what to look for in a hatchling if I want the adult to be as "purplish" as possible. I know it's sometimes difficult to predict things like this, but I've seen photos of hatchlings that are either quite dark (brown, almost) or very light, so I was wondering if I should go for one extreme or the other.

I picked up a pair of lavenders and a pair of opals (lav + amel) from Serpenco during Rich's right out of the egg sale. I paid about $30 apiece. So if you are not in a rush, Sepenco's stock is some of the best that I've seen.

But, if you wanting the most "purplish" lavenders, you might want to take a look at the hypo lavenders. They are a little more expensive, but after I continuously look at their pictures, and I wish I would have picked up a pair too--maybe next year.

The most purple-ish snakes I've found are also from Serpenco: the Lavender-BloodReds. Beautiful!!! but pricey... Maybe they'll be a sale?

OK, I admit to believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and purple corns. I have an unabiding admiration of the lavenders, opals, and pink snows. But a quick spin around the web, will soon have you running for paint chips to separate gray from lavender, buff from pink, and cream from pearl white.

I don't think anyone of our better known breeders will sell you a lavender hatchling and guarantee you it's gonna be a purple adult. On the other hand, if you're patient, you can find a lavender yearling or subadult for a reasonable price ($100-$150). I just acquired a hypo lavender yearling that is very beautifully colored (Thank you, Deb).

Joolz68 said:
The most purple-ish snakes I've found are also from Serpenco: the Lavender-BloodReds. Beautiful!!! but pricey... Maybe they'll be a sale?

Sale? Sorry, but no, not likely. Things are selling out WAY too quickly and it kind of scares me to think I would be completely sold out of saleable stock way before the next year's crop is due. So there really is no incentive to have a sale on what is left.

But honestly the higher dollar animals do sell more slowly than the cheaper stuff, so save your money with that goal in mind.

Back