• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

cornsnake X yellow rat snake crosses

jp8899

Is there anyone out there working with these. I have a pair of albino het albino rat snakes I may in the future try to "go there". Any thoughts or experiences with this subject? I hope I posted this in the right area. Thanks in advance.

A Corn snake is a rat snake and as I understand it, they can all cross breed. In fact a lot of the Corn Snake Morphs I've seen actually look like the Grey Rat snakes and the Yellow Rat snakes. I'm sure somebody out there has done it or is doing it, but I can't direct you. Sorry.

A Corn snake is a rat snake and as I understand it, they can all cross breed. In fact a lot of the Corn Snake Morphs I've seen actually look like the Grey Rat snakes and the Yellow Rat snakes. I'm sure somebody out there has done it or is doing it, but I can't direct you. Sorry.

I am well aware that a corn snake is indeed a red rat snake I am an experienced breeder. I do know that they can in fact be crossed. I am looking for someone with experience in the cross breeding. Thank you for your reply. I know I am new here if you check in new members area I have posted there my experience. Although I am still learning things I am definitely not a total newbie. I am trying to work with new animals. While also working with animals I am experienced with also.

well you did say "...I am well aware that a corn snake is indeed a red rat snake I am an experienced breeder......"

and you also said "......I am looking for someone with experience in the cross breeding...."

Why would it be any different? They are all Rat snakes. You're an experienced breeder. Just put a Red one and a Grey one together or a Yellow one and a Grey one whatever and see what happens. They'll either mate or they won't. Right?

well excuuuuuuse me

That seems really uncalled for.

As for the original question, I'm not well versed in the interspecific hybrids, but I tend to think that not a lot of people are working with them. Iansvivarium.com has a list of corn/rat hybrids if you haven't already been there.

well you did say "...I am well aware that a corn snake is indeed a red rat snake I am an experienced breeder......"

and you also said "......I am looking for someone with experience in the cross breeding...."

Why would it be any different? They are all Rat snakes. You're an experienced breeder. Just put a Red one and a Grey one together or a Yellow one and a Grey one whatever and see what happens. They'll either mate or they won't. Right?

Yes, you are correct. They will or they wont. I guess I went about this wrong. I have tried to research this subject. I have not been successfull in finding the answers I am looking for. From what I gather I will have to breed and raise up baby's and pair back to mother or father with offspring and eventually end up with tequila sunrise babies. This is a long term or "possible" project so I am looking for info from someone who has tried or has been successful with the project. Again I was not trying to offend you or anyone.

As for the original question, I'm not well versed in the interspecific hybrids, but I tend to think that not a lot of people are working with them. Iansvivarium.com has a list of corn/rat hybrids if you haven't already been there.

Thank you I will look there. I am just researching and thinking about this project.

From what I gather I will have to breed and raise up baby's and pair back to mother or father with offspring and eventually end up with tequila sunrise babies.

Wait, what? I haven't followed Sean's work with tequila sunrise very well (what up with the inaccessable/nonexistent documentation in the hobby anyway? ;) ) but I didn't think they were hybrids.

I imagine it's a reference to Arrested Development.

FvYNah.jpg

Is this one of yours?

I brought home a lovely little guy yesterday that I am told might be a corn/yellow rat cross. He is a rescue and the pet store had just labeled him as a normal corn snake. I have named him “Terry” (short for terracotta) and he has both saddles and stripes. No head stamp or belly markings. He could be kastanie motley/striped, but both his color and his pattern are very even and regular the entire length of his body and both of those morphs seem to tend towards irregularity. If he’s a kastanie motley, he’s a darned fine one! On the other hand, if he’s a rat snake he sure is sweet-tempered! He came from a situation of severe neglect, and doesn’t seem to have any issues with handling that aren’t easily explained away by that.

This thread is several years old and the original poster lived in Ohio, so I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely your snake came from them! But if you post a picture, maybe we can figure out what's going on with his morph or intergrade!

Thanks! Two photos attached, let me know what else might be helpful.

Attachments

• 04000D40-8B93-4284-AD06-12E49D1B7DFC.jpeg
    04000D40-8B93-4284-AD06-12E49D1B7DFC.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 39941494-3DED-4AA1-8F1D-BF6E5D1AFAA7.jpeg
    39941494-3DED-4AA1-8F1D-BF6E5D1AFAA7.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 39
Very cool looking snake! I think there is no way that is a pure corn (if it even has any corn snake in it at all). I'm not super experienced with the different rat snakes, so I'm not sure exactly what it is. Hopefully someone with more rat snake knowledge can chime in!

To me, this looks like a baby everglades rat snake, which is a subspecies of the eastern rat snake (formerly black rat snake, they keep changing species and names on us every few years and it gets confusing)

Back