• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My corn snake Ruby kills Adult male mouse.

AND REMEMBER BEFORE YOU REPLY BACK TO ME:
1. i dont say feeding live pray is safe
2. i dont say loling about a video of a snake eating a mouse is nice or funny
3. the only thing i posted on this thread was to prove the people that said there was no interest , entertainment, fascination about a snake killing and eating its prey that they where wrong and they exegarated.

anything else your gonna reply to me other than that pls, don't your wasting your time i didnt stay nothing more then that in this thread so try to understand my point before comeing to bomb me.
pz

i hope i was specific enough LoL ;p

I don't find the suffering of a live animal entertaining. I find it disturbing that anyone would.

When I got my first BP, I loved snakes, but I was so upset about how I had to feed it. As far as I know, or at least in the area I was in in 1993 (Southern Mississippi), there were no frozen rodent wholesalers and I have never been able to kill or brain anything. Also, a vet back then told me that a snake won't eat something dead, he said that the movement is what stimulates the feeding response. When someone in my family makes a commitment to an animal, we don't get rid of the animal.

I gave that BP to my brother and Mom when I joined the Navy, I just couldn't take it to boot camp and subsequent duty stations at the time. For the next 13 years, my family fed that snake live. They did it because they thought they had to. They would get a mouse in a brown paper bag, open the bag and drop it into the tank, and then cover the tank for the next two days. It was a horrible experience for them. It wasn't until I re-visited reptiles and found out about frozen thawed that I realized I could really enjoy the keeping of snakes. I reacquired my BP and now he has been transferred to f/t. Now I only feed live when it is pinks and when I'm trying to stimulate a stubborn feeder. The frozen thawed rodent wholesaler industry revolutionized snake keeping. I'm so thankful for that.

Darksmoke is correct. The way snakes feed is fascinating. However, even in the wild, they will eat a dead animal if they come upon it. They are pretty opportunistic. So we are giving them the opportunity to eat safely.

For all who replied negatively, why watch something you don't like? The title clearly describes the thread. I posted this for all the live feeding snake enthusiasts. I have always fed this specific corn snake live and I do supervise her while she's killing at all times.

For all who replied negatively, why watch something you don't like? The title clearly describes the thread. I posted this for all the live feeding snake enthusiasts. I have always fed this specific corn snake live and I do supervise her while she's killing at all times.

Because there is no rule saying we can't reply to a post. Positive or negatively. And as you seen there isn't many live feeding ENTHUSIASTS here.
Most here who have to feed live are NOT enthused by it.
We are more concern about the health of your snake than your feelings.
Feeling can be mended.

You stated in the above that you feed this specific snake live. do you have others that you feed f/t ??

People who get off on live feeding should be either locked up or under a doctor's care and really should not be on the internet at all....
Damn I hate sickos....

Because there is no rule saying we can't reply to a post. Positive or negatively. And as you seen there isn't many live feeding ENTHUSIASTS here.
Most here who have to feed live are NOT enthused by it.
We are more concern about the health of your snake than your feelings.
Feeling can be mended.

You stated in the above that you feed this specific snake live. do you have others that you feed f/t ??

Yea my milksnake

Gee, this thread really grew up...

AND REMEMBER BEFORE YOU REPLY BACK TO ME:
1. i dont say feeding live pray is safe
2. i dont say loling about a video of a snake eating a mouse is nice or funny
3. the only thing i posted on this thread was to prove the people that said there was no interest , entertainment, fascination about a snake killing and eating its prey that they where wrong and they exegarated.

anything else your gonna reply to me other than that pls, don't your wasting your time i didnt stay nothing more then that in this thread so try to understand my point before comeing to bomb me.
pz

i hope i was specific enough LoL ;p

Sure, watching a snake eat is interesting. It's fascinating, too. However, it isn't in the LEAST entertaining, as I said in my first post (5 pages ago), to anyone but the most deprived/demented/backward people. I enjoy watching my snakes eat their DEAD prey, especially when the snake in question had previously only fed live, because I take joy from the fact that my snakes are healthy and that they WILL eat. However, I flinch, plug my ears, and shut my eyes tight whenever I have to feed a stubborn hatchling a live pinky. IME, this is a normal reaction for caring snake-keepers. This is a normal reaction for caring people in general... One of the only times I've had to feed live prey, I had two (non-snake-keeping) friends over, who both reacted the same way I did to the pinky's horrifying squeals.

Even my brother (an extremely mentally/emotional handicapped BiPolar teenager who gets a kick out of the pain, suffering, and general instigation of the family at large--the dogs especially--and, yes, he's been in an outpatient of mental hospitals since he was 3 and an inpatient several times) is horrified by the idea of live-feeding. This has to say something about those (especially those informed) people who ENJOY watching a captive snake kill a live mouse/rat.

I'd also like to add that various previous comments were VERY correct. Most f/t-feeding snakes don't know the difference. Out of 23 snakes (not counting my 6 newest acquisitions), I only have two who don't act as though their prey is alive. All the others strike, coil, and "kill" their prey. As for the other two... One insisted on being left alone with his pre-killed prey from his very first feeding, and the other stopped doing the strike/coil routine shortly after finding out she didn't have to fight for her food.

You know, just because someone posted doesn't mean they watched your precious video--and that's a rather selfish assumption. I certainly haven't. It's just so predictable, watching it is unnecessary. Which is good, because live-feeding "entertainment" videos make me gag.

I have just one thing to say.
Why feed live mice to a snake that can eat the most safe kind of food you can give a snake f/t!

I remember you saying this snake was a yearling and a 2 week old mouse is probably too small at this point. My yearlings eat hoppers which is the average size at your snakes age. Why not try a f/t? They are cheaper for one which is a huge bonus and can be bought in bulk which saves time...another bonus. I know you enjoy watching the hunt and kill, but the funny thing is they hunt and kill even when they are already dead so you won't miss much:)

I remember you saying this snake was a yearling and a 2 week old mouse is probably too small at this point. My yearlings eat hoppers which is the average size at your snakes age. Why not try a f/t? They are cheaper for one which is a huge bonus and can be bought in bulk which saves time...another bonus. I know you enjoy watching the hunt and kill, but the funny thing is they hunt and kill even when they are already dead so you won't miss much:)

Nah I have a pet mouse. Then I have my feeder breeder mice.

Okay, so I just stumbled across this thread...and have a few things to say :)

1. Feeding live is not "sick." I think its amazing to watch a snake attack and kill an anole the way it would in the wild. Its enjoyable.

2. I love to hunt. I enjoy killing deer, it makes me happy. It also makes MANY other people happy. This is no different from feeding your snakes live food (besides it being dangerous)

3. I couldn't watch the video, but from what everyone is saying...he just fed his snake live and liked it. So...? Whats the big deal? Its just a mouse. They are just...mice. Not seeing what the big deal is between you killing them and the snake killing them (besides danger to your snake.)

4. I feed live anoles for a few reasons. One is because I enjoy giving my snakes something "different" now and then. Two is because I breed anoles. I freeze some, I feed fresh ones live. It gives my snake exersize, something to hunt, and a challenge. Its just a lizzard.

Anyway, not looking to get flamed...just pointing these things out and putting in my two cents.

2. I love to hunt. I enjoy killing deer, it makes me happy. It also makes MANY other people happy. This is no different from feeding your snakes live food (besides it being dangerous)

But would you stick a deer in a 10' x 10' corral and shoot it? Would you think that's a good representation of what deer hunters do? Would that really make you happy? That's the equivalent of feeding live to a snake in a tank, bowl, or feed tub.

I have no issue with hunting, in humans or animals... but pretending that hunting things down in a little tank has anything to do with "nature" doesn't sit well with me.

If I wanted my snakes to live a natural lifestyle, they'd be wild. However, I'm not going to keep them in tubs/tanks, have them hiding in cardboard boxes and burrowing in aspen shavings, and then pretend that when I feed them live, it's just like in nature. It's not. It's almost... well... I guess it seems almost disrespectful to what hunting really is for a wild snake.

For me, personally, the choice to feed live when a safer, more humane option is readily available is not one I take lightly...

For me, personally, the choice to feed live when a safer, more humane option is readily available is not one I take lightly...

I think its more of a personal opinion thing. I will feed my snakes live anoles, the original poster will feed his snake live mice. This thread isn't going to stop him...so its kinda just a induvidual choice.

Also, people do hunt in "pens
but ones that are very large.

I wasn't saying feeding live is "like" hunting, only asking why everyone cares so much about a little rat thats gonna die anyway??

Feeding live does not provide anymore exercise than feeding f/t thats just kind of silly. Also, your snakes are still babies and while an anole is a fine meal now your snake will be needing bigger prey soon. If you continue to feed live you run the risk of one or more of your snakes refusing f/t when the time comes and having to feed live adult mice which is dangerous, or having a snake that only wants lizards and not mice at all. Being your a very new keeper maybe you should listen to many individual opinions before assuming what your doing is harmless. Snakes don't need variety and tend to stick with wanting a certain prey item delivered a certain way.

Sorry Emily, I have to disagree.
The LAST thing this hobby needs is yet ANOTHER teenage asshat getting his rocks off by feeding live on film.
Not neccessary and not cool.

Back