• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tank size

redtallica

There can be only one
Hi,
I recently bought a tank but i am not sure how many gallons it holds,
so i dont know if it will be big enough for my corn(only 15 inches at the moment). The tanks measurments are 26 inches long,12 inches wide and
16 inches deep.

could anyone let me know how many gallons this is and if it will be suitable for by snake.

Many thanks
Phil

Without doing the calculations, offhand I'd say it's a 20 gl. Plenty big for you hatchlings.

Hope you not planning on filling it with water, it may be a tad moist for your snake....... :crazy02:
LOL

I'm not sure how the gallon thing works but as a general rule the tank should be about as high as half as long as the snake and 1 - .7 times as long. Thats a minimum though. It wouldn't hurt to expand it at all.

Yes that sounds about right.. My corn right now is just over two feet and im pretty sure his/her's (its undecided) tank is around 21 gallon. is that going to be large enough when (s)he grows full size? My corn is still young so i know it will grow alot more. maybey 5 foot or somthing. so will the tank be large enough?

Well, my corn is only 3 ft so I don't know from experience but I've been told that a 20 gallon is all that you need. I don't think I would want to keep mine in something quite that small but its up to the individual owner really. You don't have to go expensive either. I've found that the glass acquariums do not allow a lot of ventelation so I've opted for a quite large tupperwear container and drilled holes in the sides and a hole to take out the cord for his heat rock. The only thing that I have to watch is that the container I have isn't as tight at the top as is necessary but that is fixed by a heavy book. :) Hope that helps

gisele said:
drilled holes in the sides and a hole to take out the cord for his heat rock.

You need to be aware that heat rocks pose a sizeable risk for your reptile. They create extreme temps that can be potentially lethal. I would suggest that you re-think its continued use. There are several alternatives that are much safer.

Thanks To You All

Thank you to everyone for all your help,I have never had a corn snake before(just Garters)so I am still learning about these cute little critters and any help on them is very much appreciated :)

I recemond under the tank you put a heating pad and just watch the temperature. Make sure it dosnt get to hot, just have at a pretty low temperature, and check it every couple of days.

thats what I generally do and actually prefer to do but I was in T-Bay for most of the year and had to send the snake home for about 2 months and the heat pad that I'd gotten earlier had fallen off and you're not supposed to glue it back in place. My parents bought it and so far it has worked not too bad. It's not quite as warm as the heat pad but will have to do until I can afford to replace it. There is also the danger of electrical shock that has occured in some heat rocks so I can only pray that it will hold out until I replace it.

Back