• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Something weird in tank after shed

zwyatt

FutureTransitionalFossil
Hi everybody,
My snow (1 year old, ~18-19 inches) just had her second shed, with me, last night. It seems to be fine with no missing eye caps or other pieces. The thing is this morning when I woke up and went to take the skin out I noticed something in her water dish. It looks like a little organ of some kind (you can definitely see veins in it). It only has a little smell to it, but you can't even notice it unless you put your nose close. I took her out just to check her over. She looks fine her belly around her vent looks fine. She last ate two pinkies 4 days ago. She has eaten two pinkies three times now. Temps have been in the low to mid 80's. Could it be part of a pinkie? And if so should it be treated as a full blown regurge? There was also a big spot of fresh poop under her hide when I took her out this morning. Thanks for any help

probably was a nice little fecal present for you :) A lot of them feel the need to let themselves rip after shedding.

my guess would be...

that she regurgitated, yes. perhaps the shedding process was a little stressful and she wasn't fully digested at the time so she got an upset stomach. i would suggest keeping the temparatures around where you have them, wait ten days before attempting to feed her, and avoid handling her for a week or so.

Thanks for the input. I figured I would probably treat it as a regurge just to be safe. I hate to make her wait 15 days (since it's already been 5) before she gets to eat if it wasn't a full on regurge, but I'd rather be safe.

I'm confused

Are you planning on waiting 20 days to feed? If so, why? :shrugs:

Wait ten days total. You only need to wait another five. Make sure you feed a smaller sized item for the next two or three feedings.

She last ate 5 days ago. The piece that I found in the water dish just appeared last night which is 4 days after she ate. I thought you waited 10 days after the regurge to feed again. If so, I was saying it would have been 14-15 days since she last ate which I know snakes can do standing on their heads so it's not a huge deal. Hopefully this clears up the confusion.

Personally after 4 days I would not be comfortable calling it a regurge (though I'm sure someone, somewhere has had one happen after that long) . . . if you'd happened to take a pic of it that would be a better way to tell what it might have been. Sounds like poo in the water dish to me. I've personally never had a regurge, with my snakes, any longer than 48 hours after feeding.

D80

Sorry, I didn't have a camera handy and after I took it out of the water it didn't look the same for very long. It didn't really feel like a regurge, but I'm not all that experienced.

I have to agree D80. I was going to post the same thing, but didn't get to it before you did. I've heard of regurges 3-4 days after eating, but it's usually a result of low temps, not shedding. I thought it was a little odd too. Won't hurt to wait a few more days before feeding again though.

Back