• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tank size and what is classified as a juvenile corn?

AneryOwner2020

Hi y'all,

I can't believe it's almost been a year since getting my corn snake. I believe he is already about 9 months old (bought him at an expo in late September, so give or take 3 weeks old when I bought him). What age would he be considered a juvenile? Also, I just measured him, and he's about 22 inches long, which is about as long as the diagonal length in his enclosure. I have him in a 10 gallon enclosure. I did research a while back that once the length of your corn matches or is more than the length of the tank diagonally, then it's time to upgrade. I just wanted to get y'all's thoughts and advice on this topic. I apologize in advance if this has already been answered or in an existing thread. Thank you?

I'm not sure the exact cut off for what is considered a juvenile, but probably a year and under? One to two years would be subadult and then three and over would be an adult. I would probably move him to a larger enclosure by a year old, since a ten gallon is pretty small. The metric I've seen referenced most often is length plus width of the tank should be longer than your snake. Moving him to a larger enclosure earlier won't be a problem either, as long as he has lots of places to hide and ground cover.

The general usage of terms for corns that I have seen is neonate for the baby-babies, hatchling, then yearling, then juvenile, then adult.

I just moved my one year old into a 30x12x16 zoo med terrarium from a 10 gallon. He is definitely appreciating the extra space. And I love the front opening doors. They make things so much easier than having to reach in from the top.

Back