• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is brumating necessary?

zoecornsnake101

Hi all, is it true that you absolutely *need* to brumate to get fertile eggs? My male and female locked twice this week, right after she shed. For context i’m in Virginia, where they are native. I haven’t brumated them in any form. Just kept them at normal temps, feedings, etc. My male suddenly went off food after the first lock and I got 2 locks now. He still isn’t eating and is doing the nose rubbing at the front of his tank. So, the question is, will not brumating effect anything? Should I go for a 3rd lock? Best regards. Zoe

bSNFCmT.jpg

Brumation is not necessary to produce viable hatchlings in corn snakes. I spent years not brumating my animals with great success.
One of the perks of brumation is that it gives the animals and the keeper a break. The more important benefit is that if you intend to breed animals, brumation makes the process more uniform and predictable. All your animals will cycle around the same time; shedding, ovulating, mating, laying eggs, etc. Without brumation one must be ever vigilant to spot these signs and act accordingly. This is especially helpful when you have a large number of animals.

Back