• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2 cornsnakes in 1 cage?

Reptiles in general are solitary creatures, and this includes the Cornsnake. They do not get lonely, nor do they want a "friend."

Some issues to consider if you attempt to house more then one in the same enclosure...

- Canabilisum
- Stress
- Early breeding (can result in death)
- Transmission of parasites/disease

We are 100% against houseing more then one Cornsnake per enclosure. A lot of herpers will say "It's never happened to me" and they are usually the next ones to post a thread stateing their female is only 200 grams and is gravid or their newest hatchling was eatten by its cage mate.

You may not approve, blckkat, but a poll some months ago on a UK forum was interesting.
When the subject was openly discussed on a thread the majority of posters were against co-habitation of corns.
When an anonymous poll asking who kept them together was carried out, there was a solid majority of keepers who did keep them together knowing the pros and cons.

I am by no means an expert here, so this is just my personal observation/opinion.

There are many threads on this topic on the site as well as others. One of the main arguments for keeping snakes together seems to be not having enough space. But these are cornsnakes-not pythons. The space requirement is really minimal.
I live in an fairly small apartment. My daughters share the large bedroom and I share the smaller bedroom with our 16 snakes. They are all still young, so only take up a total space of about 5' x 3' x 18". Even when they are full grown a rack system to house all of them would take up no more floor space than my computer desk does.
Why would anyone risk any of the possible cons to save a small amount of space? Especially when it seems that a large portion of the people wanting to do this have a limited number of snakes to begin with?
I know eventually I will need more space for my snakes. Because it seems seems inevitable that I will have more snakes. I will just have to make the choice to either give up something else that takes that space-I don't really need that other TV :), or get a bigger place to live. If I am not willing to do that to ensure the health and safety of my pets, than I don't feel I should purchase any more. No matter how much I may want to add to my collection.

But that is just my humble opinion.

Well said, Traci. I've said that on many occasions as well. Why purchase animals that you can not keep properly?

John, to each his own. It's a topic that will more then likely continue going round and round in circles. As a responsible keeper, why would you risk the health and safety of your collection? No one has ever given me a concrete answer to this. Saving space and because they're "buddies" is not a logical answer to the question either.

I think my favorite responses are the ones that go, "I've done it and I never had problems, except that one time where one ate the other." (Gee, call me crazy but doesn't that kinda not qualify as never?)

You know what really gets me about the arguments for keeping snakes together?

"I know there are risks, but I've kept them together for a few years now and haven't had any problems."

I don't know about you, but when I bring an animal into my house and make myself responsible for it, I am NOT willing to take ANY risks when it comes to their health and well-being. Yes, there are risks just in living and anything can happen (like my dog getting slammed into by another dog while playing and dislocating his hip), but if I can minimize those risks, I darn well will do it! At least my dog didn't require $2,000 worth of surgery because I was a fool idiot who let him roam the streets!

There is that angle to this too. While I see myself as responsible for their care and that is what matters most to me, there's also that monetary thing kicking in. I didn't pay out a chunk of change for my snakes just to risk losing one or both of them because I was too lazy and cheap to go out and buy another tank or even a rubbermaid tub. Sure, you 'might not' have any problems, but who in their right mind casually says, "Oh, so what if this snake cost me $100, I'll toss it in with my other snake and hope nothing goes wrong!" I just don't get it.

People are too used to having what 'they' want and what is convenient for them without ever stopping to really consider what is right or best. It's a darn shame.

cannibalistic corn snakes

I work at a pet store and we have 4 baby corn snakes and they have lived in a 10 gallon tank with 3 hidding spots and a climbing branch. The corn snakes are about 6 months old and they have been together since they hatched and they havent shown any signs of aggression to each other. And I am starting to research corn snakes because i am considering to buy a pair and start breeding them. I believe if you just keep your corn snakes well fed and keep constant water and a good climbing spot and hidding places, the corn snakes will not become stressed and eat each other. We also have to perfectly healthy female adult corn snakes that have been handled quite a bit and are very tame so they dont each each other eather....I am looking for some sort of a expert opinion on this matter, i am wondering if we just got really lucky and the snakes did not eat each other or is it simply all you have to do is provide the right setup and food/water for your snake and they will be happy. I know most people believe that corn snakes cant live together but i believe if you raise themfrom hatchlings and care for tham well that will be okay.Ane I would like to know if this is true from someone who has some experieince with corn snakes. Thank You for your help.

Owen, did you read this thread before adding your post? Because the people who posted before you ARE the people with experience of corn snakes.

You seem to be focusing on whether your corns will eat each other or not. That is not the only concern. If one gets sick, unless you are very very lucky and see whch one it was then you have no way to tell. If one gets a parasite or a respiratory infection it will pass it on to the others. If they get freaked out by each other and hide in different places, that does not mean they are comfortable. If you sex them wrong (which has happened to the biggest breeders around) then you have a whole host of other problems.

It doesn't matter if you raise them from hatchlings or not, any corn owner will tell you that they all have their antisocial/grumpy/stressed/shy times which can be cause by a number of factors that you have no control over. If 'you simply have to provide the right set up' were true then there wouldn't be so many discussions of the topic.

The female adults you house together who are perfectly happy? If I shove you in a prison cell with a similarly sized lunatic are you going to start something with him or very carefully stay out of his way? Are you perfectly happy?

Pros of housing together: space saving? Look at the pretty colours together?
Cons: inexhaustible list.

Corn snakes can live together. They can also wound/kill/eat each other, make each other sick, pass around parasites, surprise you with eggs that you have no idea how to take care of, die through mating complications, and escape, leading their viv mates with them.

So, sure, go ahead, house them together. Don't bother to read any of the other threads either. I'm sure, just because it's you, it'll be just fine.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31192&page=1&pp=10

If that thread works, try reading it. It's called something like, "*Graphic* why not to house snakes together". Cannibalism is not uncommon. I have seen it in a Petco myself.
Snakes are stressed when housed together. It is selfish to house them together for YOUR viewing pleasure. (Not refering to a specific person.) They don't like it. If you want another snake, buy another tank.

Thanks for posting that link Kim, pictures speak louder than words eh? I got 3 new babies last night and the guy laughed when I said to put them in seperate deli cups for transport. Vindicated!

Back