CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Missing head scales

Old 05-16-2023, 11:53 PM   #1
hypnoctopus
Missing head scales

Do we know what causes the occasional missing head scale on some corns? Or rather, it's not really a 'missing' scale, but it's more like the scales covering the head are rounded at the edges and don't meet in the middle. I think I've noticed it mostly in amel types, but occasionally in other morphs as well. In my collection, I have two corns with it to various degrees. Both have had it since I got them as hatchlings.

Lava and Peppermint with scale gaps on their heads.

Old 05-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #2
Caryl
I do know what you mean. I've got no real knowledge about the cause though.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-28-2023, 10:13 AM   #3
SnakeSmithS
I have an UltralMel Aztec from VMS stock that has always had a missing head scale (sorry no decent photo available) and I was told that this issue is prevalent in certain lines, but I have not seen any real data to back up that conjecture. It will be interesting to see if he passes this trait on to any of his young, assuming of course that any of the eggs he fathered successfully hatch in about 6 weeks (fingers crossed .

Old 05-28-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
hypnoctopus
Cool, well you'll have to post an update when the babies are out!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google