• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new owner

Shanndy

Hi, I'm about to purchase a bunch of stuff for a new snake and just wanted to ask about lighting. I'm not sure what wattage I need to get to comfortably heat my new snake's 30-gallon tank. I've heard definitely not an LED light so I've found this halogen flood lamp with good reviews but still not sure what wattage I need and I'm not sure if I'll additionally need a heating mat underneath the tank as well as a basking light. I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm planning on purchasing a baby corn snake

Welcome to the hobby, and good for you for doing your research ahead of actually bringing home your new snake!

It seems like you may be asking about light as heat. I personally use UTH rather than lighting as a heat source.It's especially important for babies, who are more delicate than older animals, to prevent regurges. A day/night lighting cycle is important, too. Babies usually prefer to be hidden away for digestion. Many prefer being hidden most of the time when they're tiny. (There are, of course, options such as ceramic heat emitters which don't provide light and aren't UTHs.)

Corns are usually considered a crepuscular species in nature, meaning most active at dawn and dusk. They don't require UV for health. There has been a bit of research on UVB promoting immune system health. UVA is never needed, and can even be damaging. That said, natural light is a wonderful thing. Don't place the container in direct light, of course. Be sure to consider how light enters the room at different times of day as the sun shifts.

Whatever you choose, best of luck. When you get your snake, please remember that we love pics!

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Back