• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

PetCo vs PetSmart

Asher9

I know you guys don't all buy feeders from these places, but those of you who do,

1) which is cheaper?
2) which has better quality?

I currently buy Artic Mice (PetSmart brand), but there is also a petco in town, so I was wondering if there is a difference.

Thanks

I haven't bought either in a while, usually only doing it when I brain fart on replenishing my supply from Big Cheese Rodents.

Petco has tended to be cheaper for their Mice on Ice. However, the Mice On Ice tend to also not be individually sealed, and a number of times I've found the product to be freezer burnt. This might be a store thing versus supplier issue. Mice on Ice is Gourmet Rodent if I recall.

As a former PetSmart Pet Care Lead, even with my employee discount it was cheaper (at that time) to get mice from Petco over purchasing Artic Mice. PetSmart also upped the price a number of times on their frozen mice while I was employed there. They (Arctic Mice, not PetSmart) had a Salmonella outbreak 2 years ago (source: http://www.tampabay.com/news/enviro...read-salmonella-to-snake-owners-in-18/2180813). The positive for Arctic Mice though, and again I've not purchased them in a while, is that each rodent was individually sealed off from the other. I like this when not buying in bulk, but I buy in bulk so this like only appeals when again I brain fart of re-ordering. Arctic Mice is Reptile Industries, which is Mark and Kim Bell.

In the long run, it may actually be cheaper for you (not sure of your situation on food needs for snake or snakes) to utilize a local/in-state frozen rodent supplier, versus paying retail pricing from Petco or PetSmart. Layne Labs is in Arroyo Grande, CA and I've used them once with a general positive experience. I now use Big Cheese, which is local to me for either being shipped or I can physically pick up at their facility.

Cool, thank you! I only have one snake, so it doesn't really make sense for me to buy online, unfortunately. I would otherwise, it is so much cheaper. I didn't know about the salmonella outbreak with Arctic Mice, that is too bad!

Between PetsMart and PetCo for buying feeders, I prefer PetsMart.

Why?

Not sure if all the stores are like this, but in my area, When I go into PetsMart, it is well stocked and they always have the size mice I am looking for. When I go into PetCo, they have fewer choices, always seem to be sold out and seldom have what I need.

There is also a "HomeTown Pet" store in my area. (Not sure if you are aware of them or have them in your area) but they have a really good supply of feeders as well and lately I have been buying a lot from them.

Back