• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Problem with broken egg

Susan

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
I just had a clutch of eggs laid during the night...8 good eggs and 2-3 slugs. The problem is that at least 2 of the slugs broke open either during laying or shortly after and many of the good eggs have some of the egg yolk from those slugs stuck to them. I've gently wiped as much off as possible, but am afraid to do much more.

Is this going to cause any problems during incubation? Any safe methods to try to clean the rest of the yolk off the eggs? I'm watching the female closely to make sure there isn't a problem with her in case the slugs broke while still inside her. She's eaten the small meal I offered her half an hour ago and is currently soaking in her water dish.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!

Re: eggs

stephen said:
cleaning them with anything but water will kill them and it will do more harm then good .

Stephen,
This is not true...If you have the cornsnake manual it says that you may use listerene or even anti- fungal powder such as clotrimazole (Lotrimine) for athletes foot to stop harmful bacteria from spreading to the good eggs...PG. 53

Susan,
If you have cleaned the egg yolk from the bad eggs off of the good eggs, I don't think you will have anything go wrong...Here is a quote from Kathy's Book "Good Eggs Don't Go Bad"...Then again there is Murphy's Law...If you have not done so already, why not clean the good eggs that were affected by using a Q-tip moistened with Listerene...This should help stop/prevent the spread of harmful bacteria...Keep a check on them...I think the eggs will be fine...IMHO

HTH,

Drizzt

Back