• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Missing head scales

hypnoctopus

Olivia Barron
Do we know what causes the occasional missing head scale on some corns? Or rather, it's not really a 'missing' scale, but it's more like the scales covering the head are rounded at the edges and don't meet in the middle. I think I've noticed it mostly in amel types, but occasionally in other morphs as well. In my collection, I have two corns with it to various degrees. Both have had it since I got them as hatchlings.

Lava and Peppermint with scale gaps on their heads.

Attachments

• 20230516_205014.jpg
    20230516_205014.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230516_205126.jpg
    20230516_205126.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 19
I do know what you mean. I've got no real knowledge about the cause though.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

I have an UltralMel Aztec from VMS stock that has always had a missing head scale (sorry no decent photo available) and I was told that this issue is prevalent in certain lines, but I have not seen any real data to back up that conjecture. It will be interesting to see if he passes this trait on to any of his young, assuming of course that any of the eggs he fathered successfully hatch in about 6 weeks (fingers crossed :).

Back