• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sad Accident. Advice?

Roy Munson said:
I'm scared of them too. I think I watched the movie "Monkeyshines" a few too many times in the late eighties. It combined two of my most intense phobias: confinement/immobility and... monkeys. :shrugs:

I think it's really that I don't trust anything thats almost as smart as me. There is this part in the movie "The Rundown" with The Rock and they are all to drugged up to move & monkies come out of the jungle. Pretty funny, but I think I would break down crying if that happened.

I also have this huge thing about sharks. I will cry if I have to go more than knee deep in the ocean.

It sure does look like Bill has a little trauma-induced proprioceptive (balance) problem going on. I have no idea if anti-inflammatories might help, and sure have no idea what anti-inflammatory and dosage could be used on the little guy. If it's just caused by some inflammation as a result of the trauma, and no permanent damage has been done, time should fix it as well. If I get a chance, I'll look in my book and see what Dr. Mader has listed as a good anti-inflammatory and the dosage for snakes. Maybe Hurley has that info readily available and could make a suggestion. I'm even thinking a nice warm bath might help...helps me when I'm full of aches and pains!

I'm wondering if steroids would help with inflammation? I know in humans and mammals, steroids are used routinely with spinal injuries and other inflammatory problems. I'm not sure how they would work on reptiles though.

Hes looking good Dean! A little stiff and sore, but at least hes in one piece with no outright huge injuries! *cheers for Bill* Hes looks like I did when I tore the musles in my neck (owwww) kept my right ear on my shoulder for 3 weeks, and boy was it hard to straighten my neck after that!

For the record: I don't mind being included in "guys" hehe.. was just trying to get some smiles =) And yes, I do love to give virtual hugs, and RL hugs... and e-hugs... I'm a huggy person! *hugs everyone* =D Especially like to hug Dean... cause hes adorable and has lots of snakes =O *hugs Dean some more* hehe

Kat said:
I'll add my own little stupid oversight story. One year in a pet store, I found these little rodent waterdishes with the cutouts on the side... This made them an ideal waterdish for baby cornsnakes, since they could hide underneath. I bought a whole mess of them, rinsed them off, and used them for my hatchlings that year.

The next year, I went to re-use them. Being in a hurry, I ran them through the dishwasher instead of spraying and wiping them down. Unfortunately, the UPC sticker was on the bottom of the waterdish, and while the paper part of the sticker dissolved completely, the glue remained. I put the dishes in the hatchling containers when I set them up, and went about my normal snakekeeping. A couple days later, I was surprised to find out that none of the hatchlings had touched the mice I'd given them the night before. I disposed of the pinks and went to change the water... only to find hatchlings stuck to the bottoms of most of the water dishes. It took lots of careful work to free them, and I think some of them were too traumatized to start feeding and starved to death.

Needless to say, I don't use waterdish-hides with any sort of sticker on the underside anymore. (Most of my hatchlings drink out of little glass condiment dishes now...)

-Kat

I use those dishes, too, and I noticed the sticky residue as well. I tried to take the UPC off when I brought them home and realised that it would be more difficult that it first appeared. I tore off a bit of papertowel and pressed it down to the glue to keep it from sticking to the snake. No problems since then.

Dean, glad he seems to be doing okay. Keep us posted.

dionythicus said:
I use those dishes, too, and I noticed the sticky residue as well. I tried to take the UPC off when I brought them home and realised that it would be more difficult that it first appeared. I tore off a bit of papertowel and pressed it down to the glue to keep it from sticking to the snake. No problems since then.

Dean, glad he seems to be doing okay. Keep us posted.

Not to change the subject, but you guys outta get some goo gone. takes that sticky crap right off. . but it does have a strong orange smell.. . which does come off with lots of scrubbing. :)

I located some info. Dexamethasone has been used in reptiles for septic shock and for trauma. In mammals, they specifically mentioned head trauma as a use. The reptile dosage is 0.0625 to 0.25 mg.kg IM or IV. I'm sure you would have to get a diluted solution in order to accurately dose your little Bill.

Susan said:
I located some info. Dexamethasone has been used in reptiles for septic shock and for trauma. In mammals, they specifically mentioned head trauma as a use. The reptile dosage is 0.0625 to 0.25 mg.kg IM or IV. I'm sure you would have to get a diluted solution in order to accurately dose your little Bill.

Thanks for the info Susan. I checked him out earlier today, and his range of motion seems greatly improved. Thursday will be twelve days since the injury, and that's when I'll attempt to feed him the smallest pinky I have. If he refuses, I'll give him another few days and try again. If he doesn't eat, it will definitely be vet time.

Keep in mind with steroids (dexamethasone, solu-delta-cortef, solu-medrol, prednisolone, prednisone, DexSP, whatever your choice) for use in head/spinal trauma that you really do need to get it on board almost as the incident happens. In mammals, if they are out after a day, I generally won't bother. It's still controversial whether or not it really does help, even in the acute stages, but it's a "can't hurt, could help" type of scenario. This far out, I doubt it would be of much benefit to Bill. I think "tincture of time" will do the most for him. My thoughts are with you both that he comes around.

Hows he doing now Dean? After reading all these accident posts, I've become extremely carfeful with the boys... soooo worried I'll hurt them ~,~

Gintha said:
Hows he doing now Dean? After reading all these accident posts, I've become extremely carfeful with the boys... soooo worried I'll hurt them ~,~

Thanks for your concern, Gintha. One cool thing about this thread is that it contains a lot of examples of simple mistakes that can have serious consequences. I'm sure this won't be my last error, but it WILL be the last of its kind.

I haven't done a thorough check on him for a few days. He's never been particularly active, so I can't make much of his apparent lethargy since the incident. It's been ten days since the accident, so I'm going to assess his recovery level tonight, and decide if I should make a feeding attempt with a tiny pink. I'll update then.

Best of luck. I know how hard it is to worry about a pet. My husband was painting with oils & my cat jumped up onto his table & ended up getting a face full of paint thinner. That's the night we learned there is a posion control hotline for animals.

Wish you & Bill the best!!!

... have been following this one, keeping my mouth [uncharachteristically] shut all the wile thinking good thoughts for Bill.

I have had some serious self-doubt over the last week because I let my first baby out of its' enclosure on accident Sunday, and I am feeling the trepidation over the ~what if's~ every day. I no longer walk around my house unaware of how I am stepping, etc.

And I am not sure if it would be any better if I knew where she was and she felt bad. . . . So I guess I'm trying to say I am pulling for Bill pretty hard right now, and feeling more than a little empathetic to your plight. Hope he eats tonight

I tried to feed Bill a small f/t pinky Thursday night. He didn't eat it. It's not an alarming thing in and of itself. He goes back and forth between accepting f/t and not all the time. It wouldn't shock me at all to find that only live will kick-start his appetite now, after all the trauma. I wanted to get him a live pink today, but non-corn obligations prevented this. I'm going to try tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks so much for the concern. I do appreciate it very much.

Back