• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Best captures

2 ringnecks and a redbelly, but you can't really see it
IMG_0576.jpg

I loved this little redbelly, and this is my favorite color pattern, the pic after this is also a redbelly. The coloring varies quite a bit.
IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

These Eastern garters live in my dad's shed..I think there were 7 in this pic.
35740_559087617430_65900314_32407430_6401475_n.jpg

And my favorite of all, little, tiny, itty bitty, ringneck
IMG_0921.jpg

Tspuckler, you should come down to NM for some High Desert herping... I could even join you...LOL

If I would have been there with the rubber boa, I would have been stoked too. One of those is on my bucket list.

@cmb19, nice ringnecks! All of those garters coiled up with each other look like some kind of hibernaculam.

Yep, they go under the floor of my dad's shed. All summer long I can go down there and they will be all over in different places. My mom sent a few pics she took with her phone of 2 on a shelf...she didn't realize they were mating and kind of freaked out when I told her. :rofl: She's not afraid of snakes, but she's not comfortable with them.

When I started finding these ringnecks, they were the first I've ever seen. All the snakes, except the group of garters, were found under the same board at my back door. They all live under my house so I'm pretty positive there's a big ole hibernaculam under my house with Eastern, shorthead, ringnecks, and redbellies...obviously this makes me very happy. I find toads and redback salamanders there as well.

The redbellies are my favorites, they're so easy to handle...with the exception of the tiny baby ringneck, he was too cute to not be a favorite.

A giant hibernation den for snakes underneath your house!!! Lucky!! I'm jealous, I wish I could find snakes that easily! I've only caught one so far, a little bitty Eastern Garter. He was so very sweet and didn't musk on me at all! I was sad to put him back.

Cool pics! It gets pretty cold up here so the herps are very few but I have caught and released a few :)
Plains garder snake, only snakes crazy enought to live this far north!
025-1.jpg

Little froggy we caught 100's of them this year
022.jpg

Some swamp monsters (we didn't release these lol)
038.jpg

The boy in the hat is a friends kid, the other 3 are mine, my oldest must have been behind me lol! We had more rain this summer then that last 4 years combined!

A giant hibernation den for snakes underneath your house!!! Lucky!! I'm jealous, I wish I could find snakes that easily! I've only caught one so far, a little bitty Eastern Garter. He was so very sweet and didn't musk on me at all! I was sad to put him back.

Seriously? All my garters musk the second you try to pick them up..of course I gotta grab them quick before they get away, so that doesn't help. I think I'm more afraid of being musked than bitten, I have a good sense of smell and I can smell snakes before I see them at times..musk is TERRIBLE compared to normal snakey smells. :puke01:

It seems that Garter snake musk has a somewhat fishy smell to it, whereas rat snakes have a different, ashy smell. I wonder if it has anything to do with their diets?

I've never been musked on. I was camping when I caught the garter, and he let boy scouts and my friends hold him as well.

I have a lot of turtle stories, and some others, many of these happened before I owned a camera or didn't have one around.

I was walking along a lake and saw a female turtle laying her eggs in the sand. She allowed me to watch for a little bit before I got yelled at by my dad to let her be.

Another turtle encounter happened when I was wondering in a creek and caught a red-eared slider and a soft-shelled snapping turtle, both of which I brought home and kept for a little bit before taking them back to the creek and letting them go. I found ether momma or daddy for the snapper right before the ledge I let them go at.

After a massive storm, I went out to look at flood damage and found a box turtle walking across the road. I took it off the road and put it over a fence to prevent it from getting run over.

I seem to have a lot of turtle encounters, this one I have a picture of and will post when I can dig it off my external Hard-drive. I found a snapper like turtle, he was laying around where fireworks were going to be set up. I managed to pick the big guy up and put him in the local "water trap" without getting bit.

---Yes a lot of turtle stories. I seem to have them drawn to me.

I used to catch small little blackish-brown frogs from the drainage area and set up a large home for them in my stock tank. I havn't been able to do this for a while now, I did this when I was little and my mom has taken the tank and turned it into a raccoon home. I see them running under it from time to time.

This last one was my first encounter with a wild snake, I watched Croc Hunter a whole lot, and not my smartest. I was at a picnic and walking by the river and saw a black snake slithering along. So, without thinking, I took off after it so I could catch it and bring it home as a pet. It wasn't till I grew up and started learning more about snakes, that I found this snake was a cotton-mouth. Needless to say I never made that mistake again.

top three for me

last year (this one is special because its the first i have caught in forever i looked for literally 3 weeks everyday and finally my sister walked right into him and came to get me

bb.jpg

looked for this fish my whole life literally a life goal to catch a 10lbs plus bass

225401_151499504919892_100001795303322_312454_7021849_n.jpg

very memorable family moment with my cousin and sisters

74679_166134560096224_100000990432574_344522_2237993_n.jpg

one more rough green snake when i was a kid found him on a strand of barb wire

when i was even younger than this i had three of them in a tank they bred and laid eggs for me they didnt hatch though i was only like 6 or 7 then
163124_127370880659816_100001607134026_179248_3444602_n.jpg

That is really amazing that you managed to get rough greens to breed! They are usually really hard to keep in captivity, let alone mate in captivity!

That is really amazing that you managed to get rough greens to breed! They are usually really hard to keep in captivity, let alone mate in captivity!

I have heard that said many time before too, but I had a couple when I was about 7 or 8 years old back in 1967-68 that thrived very well for me and would take insects like roaches, crickets, and caterpillars with no problems at all.

~Doug

I have heard that said many time before too, but I had a couple when I was about 7 or 8 years old back in 1967-68 that thrived very well for me and would take insects like roaches, crickets, and caterpillars with no problems at all.

~Doug[/QUOTE

wow didnt no that !

i used to catch lots of frogs and turtles in my grandparents' pond back in the day (same time i would flee for my life when i would see a snake XD) but no photos...my goal this year is to go out and try to find a rubber boa...i LOVE them!!! would love to add one to my collection :rolleyes:

Back