CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Why I hate squirrels

Old 02-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #11
LyraFamily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romasia1 View Post
You have no compassion for animals. You don't have to be so selfish. It's just a tiny creature.
Many rodents (including squirrels) are highly destructive and are primary and secondary vectors for disease (research crops and related economic loss, bubonic plague, etc).

Old 02-07-2021, 01:33 AM   #12
Rich Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpLKiiDHktM

Well this year the squirrels decided that our tangerines were pretty tasty and didn't seem very interested in leaving any for us. Not sure if it was just one VERY hungry squirrel or a few of them. They sure seemed to vanish in a hurry, and the trees in that one grove were just about stripped bare of fruit before I set up the hunter's blind and sent one to the happy hunting grounds. Not sure if I got the perpetrator as I saw another one helping itself to one of the other trees after that. When one showed up around the bird feeders around the same time and I made hawk food out of him, I stopped the problem before the Poncan tangerines started to vanish.

Next year I will start earlier keeping an eye on things. Shouldn't be too bad, as it seems between me giving the hawks a taste of squirrel meat and my rifle shooting skills has pretty much wiped the squirrels out around here. Been weeks since I have seen one. I still see at least one hawk stopping by to check for an offering, though.

Oh yeah, the squirrels also stripped our pear trees of fruit this year too. Any of you squirrel huggers out there that want them, come and get them. You are welcome to every last one of them to hug all you want.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #13
MichaelHaag40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I took some pics of the trencher I bought and the trench I began digging to separate the bamboo from one of the fruit groves.

And the following pics are after Connie and I put in the 20" tall aluminum flashing barrier.

This was actually more tedious to do than I would have liked. Had the flashing been thicker and more rigid, it would have been much easier to fit it into the trench by pressing it down into the soft soil. But this flashing is pretty thin and although it should block the rhizomes (I have it tilted slightly at an angle so the rhizomes will tend to come up rather than down when they encounter the barrier) it's not something you can just press down on to cut it into the soil. But we got it done. Just enough above the surface where I should be able to see rhizomes crossing over the top. I will likely have to scrape the top of the barrier clear of soil every now and again, however.

I had to join two sections of flashing, and what I did was to bend the mating ends sort of "L" shaped in opposite directions so that short side of the "L" would catch on the other one's short side. Then I bent them together and pressed them tight and put evenly spaced pop rivets into the joint to hold it together. I was afraid that the flashing is so thin that it might buckle over time, allowing gaps that rhizomes could squeeze through. This way, just no way that can happen. Hopefully anyway.
I know this is a very old thread, but I wanted to thank you for seeing the information it contains is really valuable... It looks awesome... I love it...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google