• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Morph ID

Raven

I need help figuring out what morph these hatchlings are. I originally thought they were amel but they have pale to bright pink eyes. Only one or two had orange/red eyes. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2016-07-18 10.26.11.jpg
    2016-07-18 10.26.11.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 72
  • 2016-07-18 22.50.13.jpg
    2016-07-18 22.50.13.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 2016-07-18 22.56.19.jpg
    2016-07-18 22.56.19.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 77
I agree, they are amels. They often hatch out with a very light color, but after their first shed, you'll see quite a change.

Those photos are after their first shed. I was told that eye color doesn't change. When I looked under the genetics got standard amel it says that itv is paired with red eyes. The majority of these have a bubblegum pink iris.

Red = Pink

Those photos are after their first shed. I was told that eye color doesn't change. When I looked under the genetics got standard amel it says that itv is paired with red eyes. The majority of these have a bubblegum pink iris.

The reference to red--in the realm of corn snake eye color--denotes that the eyes are not black, thereby indicating that snakes with these eyes are Amelanistic (albino) mutants. Exceptions include most Lavenders, some Hypo A mutants and some of the other extremely hypomelanistic mutant corns.

I've seen eye color change in a few different morphs. I still suspect that my blue-eyed magma would have eventually developed more yellow color in her irises as she aged. Pity we'll never know now. :/

Thank you for the clarification. Am I correct in understanding then that amel is an umbrella category? If so, are these hatchlings a specific form or have a different gene causing the eye to be pink rather than red or orange?

Amel is the name for a single gene that removes melanin. These snakes have NO black pigment, therefore they have the amel gene. The eye color is either individual variation or can be a result of too much humidity and/or substrate related.

I'm sorry for your loss Dragonling. That must have been beautiful.

Shiari, I do know a good deal about genetics, I am just trying to learn the intricacies of corn snake genes. For example, what I have been seeing is that "candycane" corns, reverse okeetee, and other albinos are still considered "amel". This is what I meant by an umbrella category. Are these variations of amel or do these types have other genes that are causing such large variations?

I am also very interested to lean how humidity can change eye color and is this a permanent condition or changing. I know that for fish and plants pH will change color expression, so I do not doubt that there are factors that would cause corn colors to deviate as well.

I'm sorry for your loss Dragonling. That must have been beautiful.

Shiari, I do know a good deal about genetics, I am just trying to learn the intricacies of corn snake genes. For example, what I have been seeing is that "candycane" corns, reverse okeetee, and other albinos are still considered "amel". This is what I meant by an umbrella category. Are these variations of amel or do these types have other genes that are causing such large variations?

I am also very interested to lean how humidity can change eye color and is this a permanent condition or changing. I know that for fish and plants pH will change color expression, so I do not doubt that there are factors that would cause corn colors to deviate as well.

Each snake is going to have its own particular genetic configuration, if it also has the amel gene, then that gene will produce an animal that will look however it would have looked (due to its own makeup) just minus black.

Some people have brown eyes, some people have blue eyes; if a person who would have had brown eyes also has albinism, then he will have pink or red eyes but not the same color of pink or red that a person who would have had blues eyes would have with albinism.

Does that make sense?

~Beau

Beau - yes. Thank you. All of that I understand. I guess I am trying to sort out the naming game for categorization at the moment. I know my hatchlings carry the amel gene - there was no way they could not, both parents have the gene. I would have thought that the red or orange eye would have been more dominant over the paler pink, leading to my wondering of if I am looking at a variation. Mom has the orange-red eyes and dad has light pink.

Perhaps humidity could change the rendering your camera creates (shrugs?). Most Amel corns have the same general red/pink eye color, but since the shade of their red or orange ground color zones can vary, so also will the shade of red in the irises. Parts of the eyes are red because they are showing only the blood going through them, but iris color is generally the same as the ground color of a corn. The black you see in the eyes is not melanin (since there is NO melanin in Amelanistic corns), but we believe it is the illusion we see when tissue density is greater, thereby degrading the reflectivity of light. Adjoining tissue that is less dense therefore shows lighter colors AND no black.

I am not sure I am seeing black at all. The black spots on their eyes in the pictures is some odd happenings with the camera. I really understand genetics and albinism. I am just trying to decode the names for what I am seeing morph wise and match it with what I am encountering with the hatchlings? If the eye color is generally the same as the ground color of the snake, then the baby amels I have with pink eyes should look different from their siblings with the reddish-orange eyes as they age? If so, what can I expect?

No. The black spots on the iris are normal and all corns have them. It's just particularly visible in animals showing the amelanistic gene.

My understanding is that the dark spot present in the eyes of amels and other light colored morphs could be a thicker portion of the ciliary body, which controls the shape of the lens and holds it in place, especially in concert with the ciliary artery, one of the larger arteries supplying blood to the iris. However considering the usual placement of the dark edge, I'm not wholly convinced this is the explanation.

Here's an example:

JGA5jeEl.jpg

(e) I think it might actually have more to do with the pupillary ruff. I should attempt more hypermacro shots of eyes, though I think I should lower the brightness more. I turned it down quite a bit, but Tango still did not appreciate bright lights in his eyes.

OSwAjKoh.jpg

Last edited:
wow! Your camera is amazing Dragonling! I definitely am enamored with macro lenses and their capabilities. Thanks for the explanation on the dark eye spots. That makes perfect sense. Though I have to agree with you that it is possible to have pigmentation of the iris especially since we are constantly finding new information about genetics that defies previous concepts.

I am not sure I am seeing black at all. The black spots on their eyes in the pictures is some odd happenings with the camera. I really understand genetics and albinism. I am just trying to decode the names for what I am seeing morph wise and match it with what I am encountering with the hatchlings? If the eye color is generally the same as the ground color of the snake, then the baby amels I have with pink eyes should look different from their siblings with the reddish-orange eyes as they age? If so, what can I expect?

Query your browser for Amel Corns. Sadly, many pictures on the Internet are mis-labeled, but the bulk of the responses to your query will be adult Amel corns. Your will be tempted to think you have Reverse Okeetees, but yours will mature to be more like typical Amel corns. BTW, once you get the responses to your query, they will be listed as articles or pages. Instead of opening each one of those individually, click on the word IMAGES near the top of the page and it will show you only the images. Here is the URL for the response I got from doing that: https://www.google.com/search?q=ame...ved=0ahUKEwiS8dOno4DOAhVKOCYKHTpoDjwQ_AUIBigB. If you expected all Amel corns to look alike, they won't. All Blue F150 Ford trucks are essentially the same--just like all cottontail rabbits are--but in the realm of snakes, you'll see hundreds of shades, hues, tints, patterns and color schemes. This page of images will only give you an idea of how yours will mature. The onlyi way to know for sure is to feed them for two to three years to see them in their adult forms.

Soderbergd - I think that is part of my confusion. I did go online to match up what I am seeing vs what everyone else has experienced. There seems to be a huge range of amel including from reputable breeders and sites designed for morph ID. Mom snake is some form of Amel, so I expect some of them to look similar to her. I do not think I have reverse Okeetee, I was just using those as an example as they are genotypically amel but the phenotypic expression is very specific as are other varieties. Then there are underlying recessive genes, that even in their heterozygous state, cause marked change in coloration, including eye color. What is seems to come down to is that all corns change color throughout their lifetime and you don't always know what you truly are looking at sometimes for a while.

Back