• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Baby corn snake not eating

gene22

Hello purchase a baby corn a few months ago that successfully ate a f/t pinky on two occasions but then stopped eating for about six weeks. I try every week with no success. Is it just the time of the year they go off feed?

Thank you

Can you please provide us with the following information?

What sort of caging are you using? A tank, plastic bin, wooden viv, pvc cage, etc.
What size is the caging?
How are you heating the caging?
How are you controlling the temperatures?
How are you measuring the temperature (what kind of thermometer)?
What substrate are you using?
How many hides are you providing?
How often do you handle your snake?
When did it last shed?
What, exactly, have you tried to encourage it to eat?

If you can provide us with a picture of your snake and your set up, that would be good as well.

Thank you

He is a in a 10 gallon tank with a thermostat controlled heat mat on the warm side set to 85 F. He has a hide and water bowl. He is on aspen bedding. I have tried a thawed pinky in a deli cup with air holes overnight a few times with no interest. He did eat a few pinkies since we bought him but just stopped about six weeks ago. Thank for your help,

Have you tried live pinks, braining, or scenting ? Also, provide more stuff for your baby to hide under. Fake plants, toilet paper tubes, just add lots of clutter.

Had this issue... put the snake and a live baby pinkie into a small plastic bowl with air holes in the lid.. in about an hour or less the snakes instincts take over (and it’s annoyed) and it’ll eat it. Then go back to f/t as it should take those still without issue. This was a one time thing and worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Male corn snakes are notorious for going off feed during breeding season, however your snake being only 6 months old, this would not apply.

Corn snakes sometimes will not eat if temps are incorrect, however you state that they are.

The only other thing I would offer is, 1. Illness, or 2. About to shed.

As a matter of information - My snake once went about 5 weeks without food. He was fine, but I had no idea what was going on at the time. Then he shed, and went right back to eating.

People sometimes think the "Shedding Process" is over in a few days, and sometimes it is. On the other hand, it can also take several weeks.

If your snake appears to be healthy otherwise, and is not losing weight, I would not worry too much.

If you're concerned, a trip to the vet might be in order.

If it is a shedding issue, try misting it up a little with a spray bottle to help him out.. but not too much of course . Also, did you happen to get it at petco or petsmart ? The only snakes we have had issues with we got there ,before we knew about what went on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purchased him from a pet store that got him from a breeder. Tried bracing tgectvawed pinky with no luck.

Third sticky from the top in this section of the forum Nanci has a thread on tricks for getting non feeders to eat. They include live, scenting with various substances, dipping a thawed out pink in boiling hot water for a few seconds so it becomes white and rubbery and immediately offering it to the snake in a small container, and even putting them on top of your washing machine and dryer as the vibrations can apparently simulate appetite some time.

try a pinky from another supplier, or go buy some new ones.. I've had a snake refuse mice from a batch - maybe there's some smell they object to. Scenting may cover it up.

How do you thaw the pinky? Mine just thaw to room temperature while i'm getting other things set up to feed, and I dunk it into hot water to warm it up before putting it in.. I feel that having it warm makes it more lifelike, though my snakes will take them cool, as well (though they don't seem to be as quick about it)

interesting thread, I also experienced the same problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Any other tricks. I successfully able to get the baby corn to eat by thawing in chicken broth but has not taken anything after that for a few week. Any other suggestions? Should I try to find a live pinky?

Back