• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Variation in Orchids

flutterbyu

I’ve been interested in an orchid corn snake, but based on pictures I’ve seen, there is a lot of variation on their adult colors. Some have more pink, some have beautiful peach and lavender colors, and some just kind of look grey or light brown. Is there any way to predict from the hatchlings colors what it may look like as an adult?

Seeing pictures of the parents is probably the best way to predict. And with lavender, males tend to be a bit brighter or more colorful.

Heck, I remember that for a while I was thinking that somehow "hypo lavender" was sex linked to the males only. The males in clutches just stood out dramatically from the females.

My opinion is that Bloodreds/diffused seems to be sex linked in that males seem to be more diffused looking (Lesser head pattern and more diffused sides) than females. Very noticeable as hatchlings. I have hatch hundreds of diffused corn snakes in my life time and I could almost always pick out Hatchling males from females just by looking at them if the hatchling sibling Bloodreds were group together.
However that may be because almost all of my main Bloodred line is also carrying the masque Gene which I find does a similar thing.

My opinion is that Bloodreds/diffused seems to be sex linked in that males seem to be more diffused looking (Lesser head pattern and more diffused sides) than females. Very noticeable as hatchlings. I have hatch hundreds of diffused corn snakes in my life time and I could almost always pick out Hatchling males from females just by looking at them if the hatchling sibling Bloodreds were group together.
However that may be because almost all of my main Bloodred line is also carrying the masque Gene which I find does a similar thing.

That's really interesting. I hadn't heard that about bloodreds. I'm going to have to go back and look at pictures of bloodreds I hatched to see if I can notice a difference!

Back