• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is it ok to house two snakes together?

Is it ok to house 2 corns together?

• Only if they arent both males

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Yes! never had a problem

Votes: 41 22.5%
  • No! I've had problems

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • Depends on the "personality" of the snakes

Votes: 48 26.4%

• Total voters
So I don't like joining in on these mass cohab conversations, but I do have to say one thing.

The first is that no matter your expiriences with keeping snakes together, you have to think about two things. The first is that snakes don't act like humans, they don't think like humans, and they don't have the emociens of humans. blah-blah We always seem to say that on here.:) The point is just what everyone has been saying. They might not be cuddling, even if it looks like it. The other thing to realize is that the reason we stress this point so much is that there is a POSSABILITY of something going wrong. You may not have had it happen yet, but you have to take the precation, don't you?

Now you think we can lock this thread or something??:):rolleyes:

can you clarify your comment a little?

It was a little badly writen, sorry, but what parts not making sense?

I'm just saying that this is a risk to your snake, can you agree with that? Horrible things HAVE happened to snakes that were cohabed, even if they haven't happened to you. I'm asking, what's the point in taking that risk with two great pets???

And then I was repeating the fact that we can not judge acurateley what snakes are thinking. We sure can take good guesses, and some people on here can probably give you a good idea, but when they are kept together we really can't be sure how the two of them are interacting. What ever that snake is thinking, it will be NOTHING like what we would think, and chances are it won't be "oh your such a nice snake, and I''ll make sure not to bite your nose when eating my mouse next week."

Sorry to repeate myself, but I hope that clarifys things a little.

<<And then I was repeating the fact that we can not judge acurateley what snakes are thinking. bla bla bla >>

presumably you aren't aware that; the bigger of the two is female and the smaller is male.

i have kept them in the same tank for about 15 months, etc. etc. etc.

instead of jumping in feet first and gobbing off with advice and opinions on subjects which you not up to speed on, educate yourself a little bit, read previous posts, and think before you post. easy innit :dancer:

Okay, this is my very last post on the subject. Is there a point in keeping the two snakes together? Are you trying to save money? I don't know why you need to keep them together, and are so adamant about that.

And no, I was not aware the larger was the female, and the smaller is the male, but I don't see how that matters in this discussion.

Hope your snakes fare well! And I'm serious, completely. I really do hope so. Good luck with them, and I'd love to know how they do in the future, being house together as adults. It could be that everything will be fine for you.

same here, i'm definitely not posting anymore on this thread.

i originally housed them together as an experiment. to see if a bigger female would eat a smaller male or vice-versa :eek1:

sadly they have got all luvved-up and refuse point blank to get cannibalistic :rofl:

i originally housed them together as an experiment. to see if a bigger female would eat a smaller male or vice-versa :eek1:
:

I'm not 100% against cohabiting in all situations, but the fact you put them together and thought it was likely one would eat the other... or even thought there was a risk.... You mustn't care for them that much! I'd be devestated if one of my corns ate the other, as I would lose 2 great pets who I love! Plus really... stop feeding them together...no need for the risk AT ALL.

:)

i couldn't find the ironic smiley :rofl:

in case anybody actually believes that i did house my snakes together to see if one would eat the other? of course i didn't (i thought the smiley included in the post might have given that away)

So...if you are so adamant and well-informed about co-habbing...and your mind is entirely made up with no regard to what anyone else offers as an opinion or experience on the matter...what are you doing? Why reply? Why post on a topic that is originally 2 years old? Why argue about something that comes down to personal choice?

They are your snakes...do what you will with them. Can co-habbing be done successfully? Sure. Happens frequently all over the place. Can co-habbing cause issues which may lead to the death of one or both of your snakes? Sure. Happens frequently all over the place.

Bottom line...there are risks involved. If you are willing to accept those risks to your snakes for whatever reason...so be it. But do you really need to be so aggressive towards people that are trying to provide you with accurate and reliable information? Is there really a need to act as though what tbtusk has said was somehow inaccurate? Because...quite frankl;y, he is giving you good advice. If you choose not to follow it, that is your deal. That doesn't mean he is wrong...it just means you choose not to follow someone else's advice.

There is nothing wrong with that, but you don't have to be aggressive about it...

And for the record:
<<And then I was repeating the fact that we can not judge acurateley what snakes are thinking. bla bla bla >>

presumably you aren't aware that; the bigger of the two is female and the smaller is male.

i have kept them in the same tank for about 15 months, etc. etc. etc.

instead of jumping in feet first and gobbing off with advice and opinions on subjects which you not up to speed on, educate yourself a little bit, read previous posts, and think before you post. easy innit

I fail to see how ANY of the information posted within this quote is even remotely effective of the answers that tbtusk has provided. His responses are still valid and legitimate, regardless of the information above. Easy, innit?

a little bit tense there aren't you!

are you upset because somebody is going against the 'unwritten rule'?

lighten up.

<<Why reply? Why post on a topic that is originally 2 years old? Why argue about something that comes down to personal choice?>>

you've answered your own question there.

as to the replying to: "a post that is originally 2 years old"? the thread isn't locked. and the most recent post on it was 24 october.

i didn't realize you were a mod :eek:

are you upset because somebody is going against the 'unwritten rule'?

lighten up.

<<Why reply? Why post on a topic that is originally 2 years old? Why argue about something that comes down to personal choice?>>

you've answered your own question there.

as to the replying to: "a post that is originally 2 years old"? the thread isn't locked. and the most recent post on it was 24 october.

You can throw your bait all you'd like...I won't bite.

So let me clarify...I don't get "tense" about other people's choices. Nor do I believe in "unwritten rules". This hobby of ours is based entirely and completely on experimentation, trial, and error. Without it, we would not have even the tiniest fraction of the information that is currently available to us. So do what you will...it doesn't effect me one iota.

Stick around a while...you'll soon enough realize that my post wasn't tense or even slightly offended. I was simply pointing out that there is nothing "wrong" with any of the advice that tbtusk has given you. You are welcome to ignore, as is the right of any individual. But it is still good advice.

Bottom line...they are your snakes. I couldn't care less how you care for them. I couldn't care less if you wake up to dead snakes or have healthy, viable pets for the next 20 years. I will, however, correct inaccurate information, and support the members that take time to offer sound advice when people like you chastise them for being right...

But don't get it twisted...I don't get tense over topics like these. They are FAR too predictable. I knew what your response was before you even typed it. And I'd bet that as you read this response, you are thinking to yourself, "This guy is arrogant, and probably doesn't even know it", so let me assure you...I know it...;)

He isn't. But I am. ;) And as a mod, I'm asking you to please tone down the inflammatory stuff. Examples:

instead of jumping in feet first and gobbing off with advice and opinions on subjects which you not up to speed on, educate yourself a little bit, read previous posts, and think before you post. easy innit

Thanks.

<<I will, however, correct inaccurate information, and support the members that take time to offer sound advice when people like you chastise them for being right...>>

that is the point exactly. i wasn't asking for advice. i offered a perspective. and then the thread was inundated with "advice" aimed at me :eek:

do you understand what i'm saying? i didn't pitch up for an argument by any means. the fact that the thread isn't locked says as much that is an open-ended topic. and comments are invited on both sides of the argument. that was my stand. not a request for advice, help or information.

you summed it up quite well when you said "it's based on experimentation" (i've paraphrased you there, but...) and it is.

as a foil for all of those "oh no, the snakes are eating each other" posts here's a couple of pix of my happily cohabiting 'cannibal killers' :)
shocking! i even feed them together:
cute aren't they :)

Wow looks like I missed all the fun, NOT. Your first statement, is mocking all the people who don't co-hab for what they believe is the good of their snakes. I have pretty much stopped responding to garbage like this because, statements like yours are baiting others into a match of wits. You go ahead pm Dean, me, anyone, we'll watch you take the bait and get banned.
Also at this point I personally don't care what people do with their snakes. As your snakes look like adults and a male and female, I hope you are prepared for eggs, Oh! but then you probably will leave them in with Mom so she can take care of them until they hatch. susang

No one has really crossed the line in any big way in this thread. I just want it to stay that way. Since we're only talking about snakes, and not religion or politics or each others' mothers, it shouldn't be difficult to keep the conversation civil. :)

I know I've said this before, but here goes.......
In Europe the practise of co-habbing corns in large wooden vivs is quite common and acceptable. I've got corns from a local breeder who has pairs in 4 foot vivs, they were big husky, healthy corns.
I don't want to co-hab my snakes, I choose to keep them in tubs in a rack, but I have seen co-habbing working for someone who chose a different approach

<<Your first statement, is mocking all the people who don't co-hab for what they believe is the good of their snakes.>>

the statement about the pix "being a foil" was intended as a light-hearted dig at the posters who feel the need to post pix up of the 'end result' of bad-cohabiting pairs, etc. as some sort of graphical warning.

how is posting up a picture of a pair of cohabiting snakes mocking anybody?

with hindsight, i probably wouldn't have added the comments, but i didn't think anybody would take issue with it.

the remainder of the comments i suppose i could have worded differently.

if you feel so strongly about me being banned pm me and i'll delete my account

if you feel so strongly about me being banned pm me and i'll delete my account

You shouldn't delete your account. This is a great place to learn from and get some valuable feedback. I'm learning that everyone here is very passionate about the care of thier snakes (hence some of the reactions on the topic of cohabing). From what I'm seeing cohabers seem to be in the minority here (could speak for something, I'm not sure). I'm not against cohabing nor am I quite for it for it (stuck smack in the middle). All I've known about snake care prior to this site was that Cohabing was fine. I've been around cohabing cornsnakes for years (never owned any till recently) and have not heard of its potential dangers prior to this site (it never hurts to see the other perspective). To each his own and really that's all that can be said on a topic like this because not everyone is going to have the same opinions. Anyhow best of luck with your cohabing beauties!

the offer to delete my account expired 5 minutes ago :) :)

there are two distinctively differing schools of thought on the cohabiting issue. on your side of the pond (USA) it seems to be very frowned upon. over here it's isn't looked at as a big issue. here's an example; i was in the shop where i buy my f/t mice from today (shop isn't the right word, it's more of a 'exotic pets emporium') and they had a starter kit on display that included two corns ( one male & one female) and it was intended to be sold as a complete starter setup. that is an example of the approach towards the cohab issue here.

i spent about 6 weeks introducing mine to each other to see if their behaviour changed whilst together before i put them both in together full-time.

i think if they are just put straight in together without any sort of 'familiarisation' then the situation/outcome would be different.

Back