• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Found my "Missing" cornsnake

pretends2bnormal

Yesterday, I decided to move my 8 month old corn snake (Abbott's Okeetee, approx. 40-45g) out of the tub he has been in since he was 6g (37qt sterilite gasket tub with 6 latches) and into a similar floor-space PVC cage with sliding glass doors. He's very calm while handled compared to what people say about small corn = squirmy corn and has been since he was about 25g. He comes out to see when I walk into the room and eats very enthusiastically. Honestly, he is probably trying to see if I have food or not. And he is out and exploring enough that I wanted to put him in a more display-type cage.

This is his standard response to food. He'll do it while food is still being held by tongs, so I can set him down as a ball off of his bedding.
f68b9512ef07af240e5ec41754ea172b.jpg

I had held off doing the upgrade for a month or two out of concern for the gap between the glass and him maybe escaping from it. His head looks 3-4 mm tall and the gap maybe 1.5-1.75 mm, so I thought that should be small enough to prevent an escape. The holes in his tub were approx the same diameter since he was 6g and he never tried/managed to get out. I had concerns that the added width from it being between panes of glass would let him squeeze through still.

I did let him inspect the gap both inside and outside for a while before leaving him there and he booped it several times and only got the very very tip of his nose between it (maybe 1/20th of his head, if that) before immediately backing up and moving on in exploring. I checked several times yesterday and he was still fine. Nothing else in the cage has gaps he could get through, the vents have a fine mesh between the slats and everything. You can kinda see one of the vents here:
a68c23b3241816192038b2f34340649f.jpg

So, cut to this morning and I pull his hides to check he's present and he isn't. Not unusual since he loves to burrow and there's a good half inch of dry eco earth, so I feel through the substrate. Nothing.

I promptly hauled everything out of the cage and thoroughly sifted through the substrate, and still Nothing.
I did that for probably 5 minutes in increasing desperation to have not had him escape. As I leaned forward for my last check before giving up to search the room, I saw his little nose poke down from above the door opening and a tongue flicker.

"Hey, mom. What are you doing with all my stuff??"

The little dork had climbed up onto the light and wedged himself up there very tightly. I didn't even know there was a gap at all above the light, much less one he could squeeze his chubby butt into. (Hadn't looked at the light closely before, honestly, I kind of forgot it wasn't like the LED strip in my ball pythons cage; it's like a small LED bar for lighting up under cabinets or something, but it is attached to the front edge of the cage instead of the ceiling and makes a tiny shelf I guess.)

I failed to take a picture of him wedged up there, but I suspect he'll do it again, so I'll see when I get home. If not, I'll post a picture of the gap above the light with him next to it for comparison. It was pretty hilarious once I got over the panic of thinking he had escaped.
71918e1732d0a274995cafed15ea5d0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's a bit more gap than I thought there was, but still only about half as thick as most of his body.
72065d413cf27aa8e252eb6c8acebb81.jpg

I came into the room after his light timer goes off and I think I caught him considering making his way back up there. At least he appears good at math; he's got a 90 degree angle down pat.
eae7ddfdeff28542d727d175a0faa566.jpg

Noodle finally did it again where I could get pictures. Interestingly, this time he got up there while the light is on and within hours of eating...
Go figure...

Walked into the room to see this:
603fbfaa58f1392af12b162e534a35ed.jpg

Then opened the cage enough to get these:
b83ac89a355b4cb0ea9a6077f29aeef6.jpg

caa4b94f15ecca8f781a95c3d1a0cd4e.jpg

I swear he is... I haven't caught him doing it since the first time, so I thought maybe he didn't like it much.

I'm not confident he can't escape when the cage is properly closed, at least, though seeing just his nose hanging down when you walk in the room is pretty funny. The first picture is exactly how he was hanging out when I got home.

Yours will be toobefore you know it. Noodle is only around 41 grams last I weighed him (8 months old). Although he's been pretty goofy like this since he cleared 10 or 15 grams. In his tub, I would find him like this (thinking he is totally hidden)
b1fc82485fa038310f3391410fd844c8.jpg

He also did this maneuver a lot, although I could only find a more recent shot of him doing it:
dc43d41bb46636108639642b4dc14381.jpg

Along with his favorite hidey hole while handling during the winter. Always made a beeline down any nearby sleeve.
e5872586b18b07afff088925b71e6189.jpg

I forgot about this thread for a bit, but have some updated pics!

Mr. Noodle weighed in at 97 grams yesterday! [emoji50]
He's getting big so fast.

Caught him trying to operate his locked sliding glass doors, to no effect:
c0370d979b37f16fde874fe8f312e8a0.jpg

He's super bright these days:
653aafa1589933632e0cd44bcb7fb412.jpg

Still hitting his mice hard and doing a complete wrap job:
208e717b7c31989bb6589b1a148bce07.jpg

Mini outdoor photoshoot. Only pretty spot he wouldn't be able to speed away from me? In a small tree! Turns out he is a very adept climber these days.
6a0e8bb4f76c6a7b9ad3c797d489fe6c.jpg

d232741bb98e76866bf24aae6a4774e1.jpg

That's a beautiful corn snake. With all the morphs I sometimes forget how spectacular a normal corn can display its color. Can beat the price on them either.
Thanks for sharing!

When my husband and I picked him out at an expo, we were looking for a relatively inexpensive snake (setup had run through most of the budgeted money of course). We saw him at 6 grams and didn't even realize he would brighten up like he has. (In our research we never saw hatchling pic side by side with an adult pic). He looked like this originally (Abbott's Okeetee):

f5004c1ee89c575257c0dfe0cbd4f3c5.jpg

We sort of thought he'd keep the big black marks, but I'm really glad he didn't. I think he's super pretty now.

Even if he is a goofball..
07bcb537a5d2b33eb3c5f648be3bb30c.jpg

That was a great shot in the tree! The green of the background with Mr. Noodles coloration reminded me of a tiger in the jungle!

Back