• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

covering flex watt in a cage

abynum1

Hey guys, I'm starting on a 4 level shelf type cage system. Each cage will be at least 36"L x 22"w x 15"H. I'm thinking about using the 11" flex watt. My question is this: Can I place the flex watt directly onto the wood bottom, and what do I cover it with so that the snake won't come into contact with it? I've read that it needs some spacing, but how would I do that in this situation? Can I cover it with some thin plexi glass and maybe drill air holes through it? (the plexi glass that is.) I've done the searches, but everything seems to be written about rack systems where people are just placing tubs on top of the heat tape. Mine will be placed along the floor of the cages. Thanks for any help.

Make sure your flex is well thermostat regulated for the application you are talking about. You could get ceramic tiles that are natural looking and place them on the flex.

Yep, gonna run them off of one or two thermostats depending on how big of a temp fluctuation I get between the upper and lower cages. I looked at some ceramic tile at Lowes, but they seem like they may be too thick for the heat to get thru?

Use a piece of plexiglass/acrylic. Lay that over the flexwatt and then seal it with silicone. You want to isolate the flexwatt from any chance of water or moisture getting onto it (from urates, spilled water bowl, etc). Don't put any holes in the plexiglass, again, you don't want to risk a short.

And you'll be fine off one thermostat. There might be a degree difference or two, but not enough to justify another thermostat. Especially with corns since they don't require super exact temps to thrive.

Just make sure you let the silicone fully cure before putting any snake in there.

I always used 1/4". When I'd have doors cut at a local plastics company, they always had tons of scrap acrylic they'd just give me for free, so its just what I used.

I suppose thinner would work; the biggest reason for putting it down is to "waterproof" the flexwatt.

Also if your worried about having a gap you can use small washers between the flexwatt and the acrylic/ceramic tile.I taped my flex right to the bottom of the ceramic tile and set it directly on the shelf.So far Ive not had problem.

Back