• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cohabbing?

doinurmop

So I skimmed through the article, and I'm planning on using these two to breed babies, I bought them off a friend, who's had them for a while, still young though, they seem to be breeding couples, or something anyway, so would it been fine to keep them in the same viv for breeding?

I have a feeling this will be very controversial either way

I have a feeling this will be very controversial either way

So why ask then? You're going to do whatever you want to, anyway. If even the slightest risk of endangering your snakes, when such risk could be avoided, is okay with you, what could anyone possibly say to change your mind?

So why ask then? You're going to do whatever you want to, anyway. If even the slightest risk of endangering your snakes, when such risk could be avoided, is okay with you, what could anyone possibly say to change your mind?

While in the end, It's a possibility I will not get a second viv to split them up, I still like to hear the personal opinions of others

If or when one eats the other and they both die maybe you will have learned to TAKE advice rather than just listen to opinions. Not a wise thing to do but no one can make you do the best thing for your animals.

If or when one eats the other and they both die maybe you will have learned to TAKE advice rather than just listen to opinions. Not a wise thing to do but no one can make you do the best thing for your animals.

Of course I know this, I'm just saying I like to listen to opinions, I already know the advice given now, while I may not take it, I like to hear opinions on people who have or haven't taken said advice.

If you know the possible consequences and will decide to risk it anyway why on Earth should anyone waste their time telling you why you shouldn't?

If you know the possible consequences and will decide to risk it anyway why on Earth should anyone waste their time telling you why you shouldn't?

Sharing an opinion, isn't the same, as someone telling you do not do X, the hostility is not appreciated.
Everyone learns from mistakes, and maybe I'll end up doing so, but there's no signs of stress or anything else right now, this is why all I wanted was opinions

I've never done it and don't ever plan to, because what's the point? It benefits the snakes in no way, easier to keep them separate, no reason to keep them together. They'll get stressed/feeding more difficult/one gets ill, the other gets ill/constant breeding if male and female/fighting/difficult to monitor each snake and its health. Absolutely no reason to keep them together, there is no upside for the snake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never done it and don't ever plan to, because what's the point? It benefits the snakes in no way, easier to keep them separate, no reason to keep them together. They'll get stressed/feeding more difficult/one gets ill, the other gets ill/constant breeding if male and female/fighting/difficult to monitor each snake and its health. Absolutely no reason to keep them together, there is no upside for the snake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make a good point.
I guess I'll plan to get a new viv for them each in the future, thankfully no signs of fighting or stress have shown up yet

I agree with sisn.kelly. It's the worst idea to cohab a male and female, I would know from experience. When I was still very new to snake keeping, and told by the petshop it was completely fine to cohab, my two year female was egg bound for a week (even though aspiration was preformed) before she managed to pass it. I learned my lesson by nearly losing a snake, I hope you won't too.:(

I usually say there are no dumb questions but when you already know the possible consequences..........well, if you sense hostility, you're right.

My experience...They were fine for a few months, then they started wanting the same hide which was fine(there were tons of hides to choose from).
Then he cause her to regurge because he wanted the best hide, that was the last straw for me on this experiment.
She is a shy snake to begin with.

I've made a decision
Once I get my money, I'll be buying a new viv.

The only problem I had, is buying 2 new vivs each time they grow, which seems like it may be difficult.
the other problem I would feel bad for seperating them, since they always seem so peaceful when they're next to eachother.

I was also worried of how breeding would work

This is why I find it silly to use fancy vivs for small hatchlings and even juveniles. You'll probably save quite a bit of money keeping them in RUBs with a cheap thermostat and UTH and just upgrading the RUB size as they grow. Most folks your age don't exactly have a disposable income...buy the fancy stuff in a few years when you've got a job or have sold some hatchlings.

Speaking of which, you've not actually told us much about this pair you're wanting to breed. How old, what morphs are they, and what are your goals for the project? Photos are always welcome here.

This is why I find it silly to use fancy vivs for small hatchlings and even juveniles. You'll probably save quite a bit of money keeping them in RUBs with a cheap thermostat and UTH and just upgrading the RUB size as they grow. Most folks your age don't exactly have a disposable income...buy the fancy stuff in a few years when you've got a job or have sold some hatchlings.

Speaking of which, you've not actually told us much about this pair you're wanting to breed. How old, what morphs are they, and what are your goals for the project? Photos are always welcome here.

I could send you a picture of my setup if you'd like.
I got the snakes+viv for like £60 from my friend.
also whats the heck is a rub and uth?
also I don't really pay for my things, my mother does the paying for food and such, I've sold some things on ebay for around £100, so once I get my money from paypal, I'll be buying the viv a heat mat and some other things
infact there's a 3 foot viv for £35 on ebay right now, so I could fit that.

Also, do the snakes actually like eachother? or is there a different reason they're curled up next to eachother? I love my snakes, especially when they wrap around my hand/arm, so I want to be sure they have the best

UTH is an undertank heatmat.
RUBs are plastic bins, I love them for young snakes, just make a few holes and you have a snake home :D (make sure they can't get beween lid and container wall)

24893602qf.jpg

24893603rn.jpg

24893604gz.jpg

24893605fq.jpg

UTH is an undertank heatmat.
RUBs are plastic bins, I love them for young snakes, just make a few holes and you have a snake home :D (make sure they can't get beween lid and container wall)

24893602qf.jpg

24893603rn.jpg

24893604gz.jpg

24893605fq.jpg

Wow that actually seems like a real good option for a cheap viv.
so from what i can gather, all it requires is the RUB and a heatmat underneath it?

and obviously the necessities for a snake

Wow that actually seems like a real good option for a cheap viv.
so from what i can gather, all it requires is the RUB and a heatmat underneath it?

and obviously the necessities for a snake

I just realized! I was watching snakebytesTV the other day, since it popped up in my recommended videos, I think he was using loads of these for his snakes, wow they are Really Useful Boxes ;)

Back