• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Capturing the Black...

Mrs InsaneOne

I See Snakes...
Ok, I've finally gotten a handle on taking pictures of white and pink snakes (our snows), but now I find myself right back to square one when it comes to taking photos of our snakes that are all black or have thick black bands, or any bold/dark color really. Specifically, I'm talking about our normal hatchlings, the MBK, and the Scarlet we recently bought.

The few pictures that I have managed to take of the two snakes mentioned, tend to be blurry, with the details of the snakes' scales running together.

It doesn't seem to matter what I use for a background, nor have I seen a difference when using natural light versus artificial light. Not even when using a combination of both.

It really bothers me because I love crisp, clear details in my pictures - especially on the close-up shots. Instead, with the scarlet and even more so with the MBK, I'm lucky if 1 in 300 shots is decent enough to post.

So, does anyone out there have any suggestions or tips that have worked for them? The only idea I've come up with, but have not yet tried, is using a light tent for these types of photos. I hope to run a few trials with one, but I need to purchase one first. (Saving up the beans for a good one right now.)

Oh, before I forget. I'm using a Nikon D50 to take the pictures. I've fiddled with the settings as best I can and have tried using the macro function. I'm pretty much camera illiterate though, so there's probably something I've forgotten to try.

Here's a sample pic of the MBK that shows that I'm talking about:
quinn6-30-07.jpg

And one of the Scarlet:
steven10-12-07.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Jenn

What's wrong with the picture of Steven?? I think it's perfect!

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73033.asp

I wonder if something like this would work.

NAnci
All of his black scales seem to run together, making him look 'dirty' or blurry... It's not a really bad picture, but it's not the greatest either.

And that link you posted looks a lot like the light tent I'm saving up to get. Something that was suggested to me about a year ago when I was trying to find ways of reducing the flash glare that the snakes tend to get when photographed.

Jenn

They are beautiful snakes.

Black is very difficult to photograph. With an auto focus it is even more difficult. These pics are great.

a LOT of light. Thats all i can really suggest. Grab all your desk lamps and give it a shot. try an f8 or lower and see how it goes. Should really help you out.

As for lightboxes, they're easily made, or also very inexpensive on eBay...

a LOT of light. Thats all i can really suggest. Grab all your desk lamps and give it a shot. try an f8 or lower and see how it goes. Should really help you out.

As for lightboxes, they're easily made, or also very inexpensive on eBay...

Thanks! I'll see what if I can get that to work for me.

I did try to make my own light box... but it didn't turn out so great... so I figured it would be safer for me to get the real thing. Wally World had one on sale for a while, but by the time I talked my hubby into getting me one they stopped carrying them. *sigh*

I could browse around e-bay, but I tend to avoid that site usually. Tim gets into trouble on there. lol...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jenn

Rather then spending hundreds on a light tent just go get a set of upright halogen work lights for 40 bucks at lowes I use them for my portrait work (pm me if you would like to see my portfolio you turn them on as long as you run a custom white balance you are golden

Rather then spending hundreds on a light tent just go get a set of upright halogen work lights for 40 bucks at lowes I use them for my portrait work (pm me if you would like to see my portfolio you turn them on as long as you run a custom white balance you are golden
Interesting idea. How much heat would that create though? We have very little space to work in and too much heat with snakes makes taking the pictures harder because the snakes are more active.

Jenn

Thanks Joe, I was thinking that a flash or too much direct light would wash out his scales or create too much glare, but I suppose that you want some reflection coming off of the black scales in order to define them and keep them from running together.

Jenn

Another thing you might try... use a smaller f-stop (like f16 or f22) so you get more depth of field. Parts of your photos are out of focus, which doesn't help them. The problem is, you will need even MORE light then.

About flashes. My wife is a studio photographer. She tells me I absolutley should get at least the SB-600 speedlight, since the SB-400 doesn't swivel left and right and the SB-600 does. Makes bouncing the flash easier than a unit that only tilt up and down.

Thanks for the information on the flash - that will help me let the hubby know what to buy. I've not really messed much with the f-stop, but I suppose it's time I actually started learning a bit more about the camera. Up until now I've been more of the 'Point and Click' type of photographer. lol...

Jenn

Back