• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Enlarged heart and possibly fast heart rate in corn snakes?

hypnoctopus

Olivia Barron
So I had Clover, my small 2019 female corn snake out for some handling two days ago. While holding her, I noticed a marking on her lower neck that resembled the 'belly button' scar that snakes have on their belly, like a line. After looking at it more closely, I noticed there was also a slight bulge in that area and I could actually see her heart beating. Today I thought I would do a little test and compare her heart rate to my other snakes' heart rates and see if hers was higher than average. Her heart rate could easily be felt and it ended up being 76 bpm. However, I tried to get the heart rate on literally every other snake I own and could not feel any of them. So now I have nothing to compare to. Does anyone know what the average heart rate for corn snakes is? I imagine it might be affected by things like size/age, maybe gender, or stress. I have no other reason to be concerned about her. She has always been a fantastic eater, has regular good sheds, normal corn snake behavior. And when I took her out for feeding today, I could no longer see a bulge in her heart. She did recently develop follicles, but reabsorbed them. Nothing else in her environment has changed. Any insight is welcome!

Attachments

• 20210718_190141.jpg
    20210718_190141.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 14
As a vet tech, who has worked with exotics, this is absolutely not normal. You should absolutely not be able to just... see the heart ... in a snake this size. The fact you couldn't palpate the heart on *any* of your other snakes is actually the norm. Please take the snake to a vet.

Back