• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

obese snake?

I got a little bit offended myself when power feeding was suggested. You said your snake is 160g and 32" long. I think you also said somewhere that she is 1 1/2 years old. I do think an adult mouse is a little too much, but I don't think she is fat yet. But feeding adults will probably lead to a weight problem. I would switch her to weanlings or double hoppers. Or try giving her one hopper if they are on the large side.

This post got me thinking about my own yearling. I hadn't weighed her for a while and know she has gotten bigger. My snake is around 1 year and 3 months old (hatched July 25). So today I weighed and measured her and she is 140g (hasn't pooped yet so maybe a couple grams less) and around 32" long. I feed one hopper (sometimes two if they are small) once a week.

Here are some pictures for comparison:

The snake is in a 4qt. empty ice cream bucket
140_grams.jpg

Here's a closer look.
bubblegum_ice_cream.jpg

Here she is being measured. I did manage to get her nearly perfectly straight after this shot and from nose tip to tail tip she was right at 32"
32_inches.jpg

I feed only one hopper. Sometimes if the hopper is rather small and she is still active in her cage after a few hours I will give her another small hopper (this is rare). According to the Munson plan I should be feeding weanlings. But the stores around here do not carry them.

I think your snake is a little older than mine and it wouldn't surprise me if my snake got 160 grams in a few more months. Someone said your snake was 200 grams and yes that would be rare for a yearling. But after checking the OP and seeing it's actually 160... I don't think that is all that rare for a yearling.

That's cool bitsy, I am sorry I got jumpy you are not the first to accuse me of power feeding and hearing of a similarly aged and sized snake as mine being accused of the same thing triggered a nippy fit. The photos the OP posted of when they first got the snake last December is how big my 09 Amel mot het caramel stripe (I got from JMK snakes) that is about the same age as my anery type. But then my little Mel mot girl has regurged twice in the time I have had her, both times ended up being during a shed cycle. I know now that if she is blue she does not get fed or she regurges. Once I quit feeding during sheds she began growing much better.

Back