• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to get a good headshot?

I use macro, autofocus, antishake, then get as close as the AF lets me. It's easier if the snake is in a tree so I can use both hands. (Probably should have a tripod). I also shoot rapid sequential pics, so if the snake is tongue flicking, I have a good chance of catching it in one of three shots.

light. get as much light as you can. More light = more aperture. It also helps cut down the shadows if you can get the light diffused or close (with headshots you want diffused)

here is one:
Lucy3-1.jpg

Lots of light, fast shutter speed, press the shutter alot :) Experiment with the flash. If you have a dslr look into getting a hotshoe flash. You can bounce the flash off the ceiling or walls for a more diffused light.

Flash bouncing off the ceiling:

Bare flash straight on:

If you have a point and shoot camera your minimum focusing distance is probably very close, IF you use macro mode. If you have a dslr you need to keep in mind what your lens' minimum focusing distance is

Also don't forget you can always crop :)

some flashes have heads that pivot up and down, or i personally use a slave pc flash cable where only the cable connects the flash to the camera. I'd take a pic to show you but ummmm....

This is where you start learning how to take GOOD photography. Off camera lighting maynot be possible if you are using a P&S camera, you'll want a dSLR for this. You'll need a flashgun for off camera lighting, then you'll want either a sync cable or remote triggers. This allows you to put the light where you want it.

There is a LOT that goes into off camera lighting, fortunately it can be done relatively inexpensively

attached is my current off camera setup. its not the type of flash you want to be using (something with a manual power adjustment will save you - Nikon SB-series, Canon 400 and 500 series, some Sunpaks, and a couple others). Awesome off-camera lighting kits can be had for as little as $200. This gets you the sync cable, flash, light stand, umbrella... and then your on your way

Check out Strobist for more info and practice assignments...

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 313
Off camera lighting is great. I can't wait to get another speedlite. My buddy has one and we have been playing with off camera lighting a bit when I'm at his place.

Attachments

• Canon EOS XTi 3805.jpg
    Canon EOS XTi 3805.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 305
haha
actually its a quicky snoot - it slips over the end of the flash and narrows the beam of light, again allowing me to put light right where I want it to go, and, with the snoot, putting it where I DON"T want it to go...

Its wierd. Its like no one makes the kind of snoots photographers really need. They are all DIY contraptions of of cardboard, straws, etc.

there are a few of them out there, was just looking at a site the other day that was selling "universal" flash accessories straight from strobist.... LumiQuest has a few things too... but why put money into what you can make for free...

Most of these things were never used for flashes till Strobist came along. There are snoots and grids galore for studio strobes...

Well, we don’t know whether you shoot P&S or dSLR. As others have said the amount of light is very important because you can get more depth of field that they. Also a steady hand is also a big plus.
The shutter speed isn’t the most important thing I believe - but that depends on the situation. The following photos have been taken with a Canon EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi for Americans) with the Tamron 90mm F/2.8 macro lens + Nissin speedlite.
These are the settings I used: Aperture F/10, shutter 1/50s, ISO-200.

IMG_0410-5.jpg

IMG_0450-3.jpg

Since you are still in school, I recommend taking an photography class or a few art classes that will help you in composition.

Nice pictures everyone. Everyone's already given great advice, so there's not much point in me just repeating what they've said ;)

Thomas G, those are great pictures. But in future I'd recommend feeding outside of the tank in future, as I can see quite a lot of substrate stuck to your Corn's mouth and the mouse. I'm sure you wouldn't want a lovely snake like that to get impacted.

Here's a few headshots of my Corn, Salazar.

Attachments

• Salazar's face 2.jpg
    Salazar's face 2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Salazar's tongue.jpg
    Salazar's tongue.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Salazar's face.jpg
    Salazar's face.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 144
If you have a point and shoot digital camera, the macro function is your best bet for a close-up head shot. Take as many photos as your snake will tolerate, then go through them ruthlessly, choosing which ones appeal to you most. You'll soon build up more confidence and work out which distance and angles work best with your camera. I've just upgraded to a camera that lets me focus where I want and preview that length of focus before taking the shot, but while it works great on stationary objects, a lively snake is a different matter!

Attachments

• 88a.JPG
    88a.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 143
I have a Konica Minolta Dimage A200. It has an attached flash, but has the option to put one on. Some pictures are below:

A200LCD.jpg

camera-front-angled.jpg

170206.jpg

Back