• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shed right after brumation?

jsschrei

Perpetual Learner
I had a female shed about 1 week after being taken out of brumation. I've read in several places that it should be 5-8 weeks after warm up. Could she have just been really close to a shed cycle when I put them into brumation? Should I try breeding now, even though her mate hasn't shed yet? Or will she shed again and that will be the time to breed her?

Thanks in advance!

It's worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen...they don't do anything?
I agree. If the female is ovulating, the male will not care if he is opaque.

When a shed comes this close to coming out of brumation, it is almost always a false shed, when considering the shed before ovulation. They will most likely breed when you expect them to.

I have a female that shed right after she came out of brumation this year and she WAS ovulating early. Unfortunately I didn't realize it right away, being that she is a reclusive one that likes to stay really hidden in her rack drawer and feeds better in her drawer. I didn't realize she had ovulated until I had a food refusal and got her out to check her out. She was full of big eggs. I put her with a male right away, and he bred her..... but I'm thinking it may have been too late to fertilize them, and I may end up with a bunch of slugs. I will probably know in a couple of weeks. In any case, I would let yours try breeding now just in case she is ovulating. I don't thing the shed cycle of the males makes much difference. Good luck!

I've had Corn Snakes shed while in brumation and also right after coming out of cooling. In these cases it was not a "pre-breeding shed" as the snakes all shed again before going into breeding mode. Though I'd certainly treat this as if it could be the "pre-breeding shed" so you don't miss a window of opportunity.

striped-1.jpg

Yup, I missed my window of opportunity on my breeding my snake that shed right after brumation. I had my first clutch of 2011 laid today..... and it's a stinkin' pile of slugs!

slugs.jpg

Yup, I missed my window of opportunity on my breeding my snake that shed right after brumation. I had my first clutch of 2011 laid today..... and it's a stinkin' pile of slugs!

View attachment 142538

Oh no! I'm sorry to see that :( I tried breeding the couple that shed immediately after and the female ran and the male never showed interest. So I'm waiting on another shed from a few girls.

Back