• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cage size

deskjet

hi
its me again wanted toask one last question can i keep my snake in one of those critter cages until she gets biggerm you know those lees critter cages

Of course you can. I CAN also shoot people. Question here is whether you should. I personally Think that cages should be adapted to the size of the snake. I wouldn't put a corn hatchling in a 4'x2'x4' tank as my large ones are, but some little boxes I consider as animal cruelty.

Acradon

I will agree with Acradon in some ways. If you use one of those, don't use it when the snake is already like 20+ inches, just maybe when it is still real young, I only use one of those for feeding. But hey, if you dont have the money or soemhting, one of those plastic like cages will work, just dont keep it in there for 3 years or something, you know.

You have to consider the difficulty in creating a proper heat gradient in a small enclosure. If the animal can not thermoregulate properly, you will run into husbandry problems. You really shouldn't be useing anything under a 10 gallon tank size.

If you are unable to properly house the animal (ie don't have the money), you really shouldn't purchase one.

well thanks guys and o she is not even around 12" she is only 8" in legth but the critter cage is 18"Lx10"Wx8"H so do you think this is large enough cause im gonna go pick here up tomorrow if not i will just get a 10 gallon o and can i keep her on stone?gravel thats tthe type of substrate they use at the store and i was told by a herp that they should not be kept on this type of subsrate

can i use cage caroet its a new type saw it in the store it has a sponge bottom to absorb any soils and comes two in a pack for easy cleaning

as far as substrate, you want to use something that is easy to spot clean. meaning, when the snake poops, you want to be able to remove just that portion of the substrate and the substrate around it (like how you would clean a littler box).

you want to avoid cage liners that come in one big piece, unless you plan on keeping multiple pieces and changing them out each time the snake uses the bathroom. if you don't change it each time, it can easily harbor bacteria which puts your snake at risk of getting sick.

yes it has two pieces in the pack so when one is soiled the other can be puit in and the one that is soiled can be cleaned

blckkat said:
If you are unable to properly house the animal (ie don't have the money), you really shouldn't purchase one.

I completely agree with this. Not so much with this post as it was only a query but some posts I have seen really make me wonder if people should wait until they have the money to buy decent equipment..... :shrugs:

deskjet said:
can i use cage caroet its a new type saw it in the store it has a sponge bottom to absorb any soils and comes two in a pack for easy cleaning

I have never used cage carpet but the drawback i find is that some snakes love to burrow and they cant if u use a carpet. And if they do find a way underneath (going from the edge) then you have to worry about the temp on the glass, they can also take a dump on the glass which would also have to be cleaned.
Personally i would stick with aspen

well guys thanks alot i have gotten my snake already and i have everything i need lamp, light, hides (2), one on the cool side and one on the warm side, under tank heater, 10 gal. terrarium and substrate. o yeah and the water bowl she is doing just fine im going to go and put some branches in her cage and i also have a thermometer so if i dont have everything let me know

Back