• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Uth ???????

Viados23

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!
What wattage UTH would I need for a ten gallon tank with reptile cage carpet and one snake? Also, is it better to have a UTH or a normal basking lamp on top?
Thanks.

I don't know what wattage mine is, but it should say on the mat itself "For use in X gallon aquariums". As far as the mat vs lamp question, it depends. If you're using an actual visible light, you won't be able to use it for heat at night because corns need dark as well. If you're using a red heat lamp, it's a little different since you can leave it on at night. Since corns aren't generally climbers (when they're older anyway), it would make more sense to heat from the bottom or side so that the heat is closer to the snake. Unless you already have one, I'd hold off on buying a lamp for if you ever get something like an arboreal python or boa or something of that sort.

ZooMed mini UTH is 8W and recommended for 10G tanks (there are other brands but I do not have those details). I do not know how the cage carpet will affect its efficiency however as I have never used it. Even with this UTH a thermostat may be needed to control this to maintain a healthy temp.

For a standard 10G tank a 40W lamp is generally sufficient and can be used during the day only as long as the room your snake is in does not fall bellow 74F at night.

The choice is yours to make and there is a lot of information on both types of heat source by doing a search. Then you will see it is important to use a thermometer to ensure a safe temperature is maintained.

I think I will stick with the under tank heater and not the heat lamp. Thanks for you help.

Make sure that you test it before you put any snake in there. When we first got ours it maxed out at 98 degrees! But the people here were very nice and showed us how to make a dimmer switch that works like a dream!

and before you mount it permanently on the viv, you may want to consider an alternative (like sticking it on a tile, or covering the sticky side with aluminum foil and duct taping it on the viv) so that if you ever switch vivs, you can use the same UTH instead of having to buy a new one or potentially damage the old one (they're not real easy or safe to remove)

UTH v. Lamp

I was told this weekend at the Mid-Atlantic Reptile Show that I cannot switch to a UTH and completely replace my heat lamp becausue the snake needs the air heated as well as the substrate or else my corn will develop respiratory problems. The lamp I have is plenty hot enough, but I was contemplating switching to a UTH only for various reasons. Thoughts?

Another "expert" at work........

Not true in the least. I'd disregard that advise completely and ditch the lamp. :)

Maybe if you lived in the arctic circle and the snake was outside.......that little uth wouldn't do the job, but believe me, unless you're living in a hut with no heat in deep snow winter, your snake will be fine :)

hmm just curious do you usually during the day let sunlight hit your tank or do you have it somewhere where the sun dont hit it at all. and if you have it where sun dont it it at all is a heating lamp or some sort of light be ok for the snake? or is the light even necessary when there is no sunlight hitting his cage?

Just to add a few more questions to an already helpful thread...

I got my first corn, but I've housed beardies before. We lived further south then and a lamp was all that was necessary. Now I live in Michigan, and the winters can be doozies, especially at the new apartment. I know I'm going to need extra heat, and an UTH seems like it'd do the trick, but I've never used one before. I have shredded aspen bedding, but how much should I use for the UTH to be safe but effective (as in inches of substrate)? This is a 29L tank, which is essentially a 20L for our intent and purposes, with a 10-20 gallon sized UTH. I've seen in the FAQs and similar threads that a dimmer switch from a hardware store can provide basic temperature regulation for a UTH, but are there any other tricks, tools, or tips out there for UTH use? I still feel pretty ignorant and don't want the snake to suffer from something basic I did not find out.

I believe Zoo Med recommends using their Cage Carpet with the UTH as a protective layer between your snake and the hot glass. Someone suggested paper towel, which I've been using with success layered below the aspen.

As for a light, it is unneccesary. Some have used bulbs as a heat source with success, however, belly heat is better in aiding your snake with digestion. As well I have found they dry out the viv more than an UTH. And, as for direct sunlight, I would avoid prolonged exposure if possible. Constant direct sunlight on your glass viv could heat it up too much.

Unless the snake has a lot of climbing equipment, there's no point heating the air in the tank - he'll be at floor level, which is where the heat needs to be, hence general recommendations to use a UTH in preference to a lamp.

My UTHs have always come with a recommendation from the manufacturer that substrate should be no deeper than an inch over the position of the UTH. I'd go with that as far as aspen is concerned.

To play really safe, rather than a domestic dimmer switch, buy a thermostat that's specifically designed to work with a UTH. These can be purchased online and needn't be expensive. I use the cheapest ones available here in the UK and they've always done a great job for me.

Unless the apartment is going to be so cold that it's uncomfortable for humans, then I'd say you probably don't need any extra heat apart from a UTH. Generally, our lowest preferred ambient temperature will be acceptable for the cool end of a Corn's range. However, if you're planning to keep it in an unheated basement or garage, then in Michigan, that will definitely need a boost to keep the cool end safe.

Back