• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Astro Turf

Snakelova4eva

Hi Guys/Gals i was just wondering if Astro Turn is a good subtate sum people use it but some people say it has chemicals that can kill snakes and if the chemicals dont kill snakes it will realy irritate there under belly is this true? would it be safe for me to use it as a subtrate

thanx in advance for the replys

RyanRizzo

from what ive heard

i think they are 2 kinds of astroturf.

i use the one that looks like a carpet not the one that looks like spikes. so please specify and i tihink

different brands matter cause some are not made especially for reptiles.

I use it

My friend gave me his last two corns because he was having trouble finding the time to care for them (by realizing that i'd say he cared more for them then most people would). he gave me a 50 gal breeder and was using regular astroturf (the carpet type that people use on porches and stuff). Now this stuff is old so i need to replace it soon, but i know these snakes (and the ones he had before) all lived on it and never had any problems and all lived full healthy lives. maybe some have chemicals so it's prolly alot better to use known safe products, but there are some comercial brands that are safe (think, human kids gotta play on this stuff and i'm sure many of them stick the strands in their mouth. It's gotta be safe.

Yep!!

Many big breeders use astroturf as it is easy to wipe down and looks good in a display cage.

Coral sand or hemp substrate is very good as well, many people will say that coral sand is bad if the snake ingests it but ive never had any problems

well

Its not really the ingestion problem that makes me not use it. But any kind of sand gets in between scales, as is far far to dry for most snake species. Including corns.

I would never ever use any sort of sand with corns. They don't come from the desert and they need something more like forest floor, aspen etc.

IMHO :)

bmm

Last edited:
Back