• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Breeding Questions

jimijaw

Will Corn snakes breed if they havent been cooled (brumated)?
Next question for the Morph breeders, I have a 4 year old Anery Female and a 2 year old Candy cane male. Now I dont the history of these two snakes, I also have 2 adult deep red corns 1 Male 1 female. What do you think would be good pairings? I need to get a book on morphs to help me learn what I need to know. I really would appreciate any guidence on this.
My Anery Female
P0001869.jpg

Candy cane male
P0001880.jpg

My Big Red male
BigRed.jpg

Normal female looks almost identical to the normal male only smaller. Thanks Jimi

It's up to you which to breed, but either way, all of the snakes shown are very nice looking animals. I would probably breed the two normals together, then also the anery X candy cane.

marchettid said:
It's up to you which to breed, but either way, all of the snakes shown are very nice looking animals. I would probably breed the two normals together, then also the anery X candy cane.
Great !!!! I thank you very much!! Thats what I was thinking buy not having any experience in breeding I wasnt sure. Again Thank you so much! :D Jimi

no prob... Im not sure if the normals are from the same parents. If they are, you could get some cool offspring by breeding yours together. I assume this because most people dont breed their corns to get just pure normals, so they are most likely het for at least something. If they are from the same parents, then they are het for the same colors, which = you potentially having some cool offspring. Good luck with your breeding.

And to answer your other question, yes corns can breed without being brumated. It just helps to reinforce (or trick) their natural cycles.
In otherwords, it is possible, I just think it's less likely to occur that if you were to brumate them.

Korrin said:
And to answer your other question, yes corns can breed without being brumated. It just helps to reinforce (or trick) their natural cycles.
In otherwords, it is possible, I just think it's less likely to occur that if you were to brumate them.
I asked because I hadnt planned on breeding them this season but they are both off feed now and they never miss a meal. So I thought about putting them together since they arent eating anyway and see what happens. Thanks so much!!! Jimi

I never brumate mine and they breed just fine.

I believe that brumating can slightly increase clutch size and fertility rate though.

Ok great I will put them together and give it a try. They have been more active lately and being off feed so maybe thats whats going on. Thank you Bitsy and dwilliamsmms i really appreciate your help, Jimi

jimijaw said:
Ok great I will put them together and give it a try. They have been more active lately and being off feed so maybe thats whats going on. Thank you Bitsy and dwilliamsmms i really appreciate your help, Jimi
Well heres what happened :D Now after they finished I removed the male is that ok or should I have left them together all day?
P0001888.jpg

most people will tell you to remove the male, then put them back together around 3 days from now, letting them mate again, and once again removing the male afterwards.

Alright Great!!! I will do it again after 3 days and maybe try for a third time also. Thank you all very much for your guidence and help. Jimi

if you havnt done so already, you may want to get one of Kathy Loves' corn snake guides. They go into great depth about all aspects of these animals. Also if you havnt already, start researching the next steps in the breeding process, including an egg-laying box, incubation, finding homes for future hatchlings, etc. Doing this now will relieve stress from both you and your present/future snakes.

Yes any Idea where I can pick up those guides? My next step is to get a egg laying box, An incubator shouldnt be to hard to build, I already have the plans. As far as getting buyers for my snakes I dont even know what I might get as far as morphs? My guess is probably 10% snow? Boy I need to get on the ball here. Thanks for your help. Jimi

no means to hijack.. but do you guys think my 52 inch 450 gram female anery can mate with my 39 inch 250 gram male normal without her killing him cause she's way way bigger?

I can't answer your question Randy, sorry.

Jimijaw, you can pick up Kathy's book on her website, cornutopia.com.
Or, I don't know about where you live, but both of Kathy's books were available at every single pet shop I've been to recently. That would probably be easier. :)

Korrin said:
I can't answer your question Randy, sorry.

Jimijaw, you can pick up Kathy's book on her website, cornutopia.com.
Or, I don't know about where you live, but both of Kathy's books were available at every single pet shop I've been to recently. That would probably be easier. :)
Thanks so much I will go there now. Jimi

Back