• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Carbon dioxide build-up in shoebox's?

CowBoyWay

Cocked & Unlocked member
Carbon Dioxide is a natural component of air at approximately 0.03 %.Carbon dioxide is heavier than air.
Since carbon dioxide is almost 53% heavier than air, it will settle
to the bottom of a room or container and displace air.
That is why I also drill at least one hole at bottom of container as to alleviate the air pressure by allowing easier passive airflow.

How many holes and what size are enough in a rubbermaid shoebox, factoring in ambient temp.maintenence requirements in the boxes?
With one resident?Two?
How many is to few holes?

How long would it take for young hatchling to consume the oxgen in a airtight shoebox and suffocate?(conversational reasons here,don't get excited)?Yearling?

Thoughts,suggestions out there?

Last edited:
Actually, CO2 doesn't displace oxygen. If that was the case then we would have 'stratafied' air in our atmosphere, and as you already said with oxygen being one of the lighter components of air so would therefore be high up, we all would suffocate. Air is pretty well mixed but if you want to ensure airflow throughout your tank then try drilling holes along the side of the tank. I had about 10 (5 on each long side) of the sealtight container for hatchlings.

As for suffocation in an airtight box, I'm guessing at about an hour?? It would depend on how active the snake is, how big its lung capacity is and the dimensions of the box. I wouldn't want to test it though! :D

ACTUALLY

CO2 Does displace oxygen - different gasses dont mix well - In a room with no ventilation or circulation, the oxygen would settle over the co2. similar to oil over water. I know this because as a boat mechanic, it' svery dangerous to work in the lower bilge areas of large yachts due to the risk of co2 poisoning. it settle s in the bilge, and I know someone who was hospitalized because of it....

That being said - I find the theory of bottom ventilation VERY intersting and would love to hear the opinion of some other keepers

:confused:

well

I have holes on the very near the bottom but not because of any smart reasons like that *LOL* It was just in the pattern I drilled.
:)

bmm

vents

out of curiosity

i always drill a row of small holes along the bottom of one of the short sides of my tanks with a row of small holes along the top of the opposite wall, using the theory that hot air rises so drawing fresh air through the lower holes as the stale air exits the top ones.

just my oppinion.............................STEVE

this thread is so interesting

snakeman - you have a good theory too - I've never thought of this subject before, but all the points and theories seem valid

the

Pattern snakemanone talks about it often recommended in Iguana enclosures for proper ventilation. i have the same for my green iguana but it sounds like a good idea for all reptiles!

bmm

But you have to take the theory of diffusion into account. Obviously this doesn't account for poorly ventilated areas, but in a tank that has air holes at the top and a few at the side I would assume to be adequately ventilated.

When I said CO2 doesnt displace oxygen, I'm talking about in a well ventilated area in which diffusion would take place. :D

Just had a thought....

The under tank heater has to be a major factor in gas exchange,what with heat rising,with cooler room temperature air seeping in,would cause a gas exchange to also occur I'm thinking .
Thats why the air in these tubs are not stratifying or we'd be hearing reports of such things(dead reptiles). Still a small hole or two near the bottom wouldn't be a negative thing.
The tank heater theory of air diffusion hmmmm...

I like your thinking Cowboy! I never thought of that and I guess it wouldn't be a prob for people who's room temp is relatively matched with the ambiant tank temp. Unfortunately, up in Scotland, my reptiles are living in much warmer conditions than I am!!:D

This would then lead to another prob with poeple who keep their reptiles in Aquariums (glass) and don't have access to gless drills. Would we just have to ensure many holes for ventilation on the roof :confused:

yeah

But unless your room temp is under 15C (60C) it won't matter if that is the temp on the cold side or ambient temp on cool side. Corns enjoy all kinda of temps and temps as low as 60 (15C) won't hurt them, especially when you have a hot spot and proper gradient. So I wouldn't think drilling holes would matter if you had a heating source that was strong enough. :)

bmm

My thoughts on an aquarium would be that if you have a hot side and cool side with a screen top, the circulation would be good as the heat rises, air from the cool side move to replace the rising hot air creating circulation.

The drilled holes in the bottom would relate to bad circulation areas like rubbermaid or sterlite containers with a lid

what do you think?

:cool:

Are you guys really refering to CO (carbon monoxide) as a poison or CO2 (carbon dioxide). Maybe both. I know that trees and plants consume CO2 and release the oxygen. How would that affect the are quality in an enclosure?

well

Real plants honestly do nothing but good for any animal that has the benefit of being around them! They clean the air, make humidity (surface area on leaves and the soil is wet!) and they just look better! But for humans keeping snakes it would be very difficult to do this. The soil would be absolutly everywhere, the plants torn everyday and they would have a small chance of survival in the enclosure. Of course you will have your one out of say 100, that won't touch it and they will be an exception to this. But my snakes? All species that I have would ruin any plant put in their enclosure, probably within 24 hours too! :)

If anyone has any good ideas as to keeping plants alive in their snake cages could you pass them on?
thanks

bmm

Re: well

bmm said:
If anyone has any good ideas as to keeping plants alive in their snake cages could you pass them on?
thanks

bmm

Plant several and rotate them. My Cal. King Snake loves to dig up plants (I know I'm projecting here ;) ) He really goes at those plants and roots around in the potting soil. He makes a mess but that's ok I don't mind. Our Carpet Python leaves his plants alone, he just likes to sleep in them. They are very helpful in keeping the humidity where I need it to be:D

I don't use any real plants in with my Corns.

heres

A question...how do they grow in a tank? As in do they do alright? Do you need special lighting or do they get enough through the glass? I'd like to use one or two with my ball python

bmm

I have some pothos with a couple of snakes (no corns) and they seem to be doing just fine without any special lighting.

pinatamonkey said:
I have some pothos with a couple of snakes (no corns) and they seem to be doing just fine without any special lighting.

I use the pothos too. They are tough and grow back quickly. I don't use any special lighting either. I've had to cut back the ones I use in the Carpets cage, they were getting too big. I was running out of places to let them vine around. The Cal King wears them down to nubs then I rotate and regrow them:D

thats cool

I am thinking of putting a ton of potted pothos in my golden geckos tank. He can use the plants, and the pots for climbing on. Hopefully they will get enough light where its at and grow! *near a window somewhat*

thanks for ideas and suggestions.

bmm

Back