• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn constantly on cold side.

Koka_Corn

Hi all,

So my boy has always liked it cold, however recently in the past few months I've noticed he has not once used his hot side, not even after eating like he usually does, (he does digest eventually, but what used to take a few days now can take up to a week since his heat strike, but I suppose that COULD be because i've also upped his mouse size).

Now that we're going into winter, it can get very very cold here in Scotland and the ambient temperature will usually drift between 23 C to 16 C overnight!!!

Surely if he's been using his hot side without me noticing i'd have caught him at least once, especially since it's still dark by the time I get up in the morning, and i'm not sure why he'd all of a sudden get shy about using it infront of me now when he had no problem spending a lot of time in it when it gets cool.

I've done all the recommended things, fiddling with the temperature, turning it down and up. Currently im getting 30 C on the dot with an IR handheld thermometer, so I know it's perfect. Both his hides are the exact same too so it's not preference over that. I've even put him on his hot side after finishing handling him, he'll go in his hide then immediately decide he likes his cold side better.

I'm probably just being a worry-wart yet again, I just want to make sure he's not going to get an RI or get ill and that he's just being his usual weird self. :face_palm_02:

I use an Exo-Terra heat mat with the glass holder on a microclimate thermostat.

Cheers!

Mine all prefer their cold sides too. It's rare that I ever see them on their warm sides. As long as he's digesting fine, you have nothing to worry about.

I really have got to learn to trust his instincts more, especially after almost 4 healthy years with him. He knows what he needs more than me after all.

Still, doesn't hurt to ask I suppose. Thank you for easing my mind yet again. :)

Back