• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Damp Hide and "Catching a Chill"?

jagodzinski

Jagodzinski's last shed was not too stellar - piecey and I had to help with a damp soak. So this time, I turned one of the hides (plastic tupperware) I know that she already uses (versus a different container) into a damp hide. This was something my vet suggested. I got papertowels damp and scrunched them up and lined the inside of the hide with them. I've done damp hides before, but Jag has never gone in them. This is her first time using one.

For the last couple of days, Jag has been hanging out in there, and this morning I pulled out the paper towels and rewet them and squished them in around her.

But I was just wondering - do you think she could catch a chill from being wrapped in damp papertowels for a couple of days? I guess if she gets really cold she'll move herself to a warm hide, but do you think I should be worried?

She seems okay, less active than usual but that is on-par with her shedding behavior.

Any experience with a snake staying in damp hide for several days?

yes she could.

Too much moisture associated with cold temps can cause a "Cold" so to speak.

But a damp Hide can be a good thing too. It should be located on the "Warm Side" of the cage rather than the cooler side and even over the heat pad if possible. That way the snake gets the benefit of the moisture but does not get too cold.

And like you already said, she should be able to move to a more favorable location if she wants or needs to.

Just wanted to update everyone. Jag just shed and it was picture perfect! Not quite one piece but that's just because she snagged it on something in her viv. Very happy and we just did a "beauty" shoot.

Back to her old active self :)

Back