• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Double feeders

waldo

Crazy Tarantula Lady
is it really a bad idea to feed a snake two smaller food items instead of one bigger one?
Its a popular opinion on Facebook groups that only pinkies should be feed double, anything bigger is too difficult to digest.
This just doesn't make sense to me. As long as its a appropriate sized meal, why would how its packaged matter?

Personally I think there is more nutrition in one large feeder versus two smaller ones. Two smaller feeders have more skin and less meat than one larger one of the same weight. Plus, I believe I've read that more mature prey is healthier than babies. All that being said, doubling up on smaller feeders every now and then to use up a size or whatever is probably fine. Feeding a snake only pinkies its entire life is probably not.

As long as it's a meal, how it's packaged does not particularly matter. Snakes are opportunists. They will happily take several small prey items at the same time. This has been observed in the wild many times for many species.

Back