• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding Question for 1YO

Aislinn

I searched for this, but couldn't really find an exact answer to my question, so if it's out there and I missed it, hey, what can I say, I'm sorry.<br>My snake is about a year old, got her in Jan '06 as a hatchling. She's been eating once a week since I got her. First on pinkies til about April, then on Fuzzies, she only ate about 2 hoppers, and since about late August/Early Sept she has been eating adult mice (all her meals have been live prey). Like I said before, I only feed her once a week, 1 meal. My question now is, she absolutley houses a full grown mouse now and after about 24 hours the buldge is gone. Should I continue feeding her a mouse once a week, or should I feed her every 4-5 days now? I read a couple of places that a routine eating schedule is good, so I'm a little aprehensive about changing that, but I'm no snake expert, so what do I know. Since she eats live prey, I'm not going to feed her anything larger than a mouse and risk her getting injured.

Thanks guys.

Kevin

Wow a year old and on adult mice? My corns also a yearling, but hes much smaller than yours at about just over 2 foot and eating two fuzzies a week! Yours must be intended for giant hood!
Sorry im of no help with your question though

Usually when the snake is on adults they get changed to 10 day feedings, to stop them getting overweight. 4-5 day intervals are more usual for hatchlings on pinkies.
Maybe change to jumbo mice, and consider pre-killed or stunned, because an adult mouse can still risk injury to your snake?

Aislinn said:
I searched for this, but couldn't really find an exact answer to my question, so if it's out there and I missed it, hey, what can I say, I'm sorry.<br>My snake is about a year old, got her in Jan '06 as a hatchling. She's been eating once a week since I got her. First on pinkies til about April, then on Fuzzies, she only ate about 2 hoppers, and since about late August/Early Sept she has been eating adult mice (all her meals have been live prey). Like I said before, I only feed her once a week, 1 meal. My question now is, she absolutley houses a full grown mouse now and after about 24 hours the buldge is gone. Should I continue feeding her a mouse once a week, or should I feed her every 4-5 days now? I read a couple of places that a routine eating schedule is good, so I'm a little aprehensive about changing that, but I'm no snake expert, so what do I know. Since she eats live prey, I'm not going to feed her anything larger than a mouse and risk her getting injured.
I'd be interested to know the size of your snake. My '05s don't eat that much yet! How is her head size, compared to her body size? If her head looks small, think about a maintenance diet rather than a growth diet, and give her metabolism a rest. I would stay at one mouse a week until spring, then reevaluate. That's plenty for any one year old. Come spring, if you think she needs more, give her two mice, once a week. If you would rather feed one item per week, and she has no difficulty swallowing them, switch her to small rats. Over the course of next summer, you can gradually increase the days between feedings, ultimately feeding only every other week.

Keep in mind that every snake is unique, so your mileage may vary.

jaxom1957 said:
I'd be interested to know the size of your snake. My '05s don't eat that much yet! How is her head size, compared to her body size? If her head looks small, think about a maintenance diet rather than a growth diet, and give her metabolism a rest. I would stay at one mouse a week until spring, then reevaluate. That's plenty for any one year old. Come spring, if you think she needs more, give her two mice, once a week. If you would rather feed one item per week, and she has no difficulty swallowing them, switch her to small rats. Over the course of next summer, you can gradually increase the days between feedings, ultimately feeding only every other week.

Keep in mind that every snake is unique, so your mileage may vary.

I'm assuming technically she is an '05. I got her in Jan '06 at a pet store. They said she was a 1 month hatchling, but for all I know she could have been hatched earlier. I posted pictures of her from about 3 weeks ago when she shed http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42587&highlight=Aislinn

I'll keep her on small mice until spring, the way she is going through them I just wasn't sure whether to up it or not. Thanks for the replies

Aislinn said:
I'm assuming technically she is an '05. I got her in Jan '06 at a pet store. They said she was a 1 month hatchling, but for all I know she could have been hatched earlier.
I just looked at her photos, and the petstore must not have known when she hatched. She was more likely born in the summer of '05, rather than in December. That explains why she's able to eat the larger prey. She should be just fine on one mouse a week until next spring, and you shouldn't have any problem with bumping her up to two or with widening the time between feedings at that time.

She's retained a nice amount of white. Very pretty amel.

Back