• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding

Irishmiddie22

I was trying to feed my corn for the 1st time, and when I went to pick her up to put her in the bin to feed her, she slithered away real quick under her aspen...I figured she was stressed and still adapting to her home and didn't wanna be taken out, so I put the pinky in the viv...is this ok, or should I take it out and wait a few days and see if she is less stressed then....she spends all day under the aspen and I mean alllll day...doesn't come out until night

did you wait a week after you received the snake before attempting to feed it?

If so. Just reach in and pick up the snake with confidence and place it in the feed tub and feed it. In a low lit area and in private.

It's normal for than to stay under the aspen.

Putting the mouse in the cage might have been a bad thing because if some of the Aspen gets in the mouse he could swallow it and it could hurt the snake, well atleast that's what I heard. Probally stressed and not used to you my snake did that at first to nothing really to worry about completely normal behavior!

Yeah,

My thinking is that it's easier to feed a hungry snake that a stressed one.

Normally with a new hatchling you give it a good week to settle in, then you can attempt to feed it.

You should try feeding it a f/t pinky that is nice and warm. you could place it in a zip-lock page and use a cup and hot tap water to defrost it. Then in a quite area and dim light place the snake in a feeding tub or whatever is escape proof. and feed it.

Just to add to the already good advice, the corn trying to get away is something that's going to happen for the forseeable future. It does not necessarily mean anything.

Larger snakes that have been raised from hatchlings will be much more enthusiastic. Some will know it's feeding time and practically fly right out of the cage when you open it. You could be waiting a year or more to get to this point though.

Thanks guys...I'm going to wait until the 7th day I've had her to feed, and I'm kind of hesitant to pick her up, not because I'm scared of snakes or getting bit, but I don't want to stress her out so I'm being careful, but I guess on Sunday, I can't worry about that, and just have to pick her up even if she seems stressed

Thanks guys...I'm going to wait until the 7th day I've had her to feed, and I'm kind of hesitant to pick her up, not because I'm scared of snakes or getting bit, but I don't want to stress her out so I'm being careful, but I guess on Sunday, I can't worry about that, and just have to pick her up even if she seems stressed

My 2010" snows and still flighty till I have them all the way out of their cage.
They calm down after that.

Back