• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Frozen to Live

HAUZEY

Underoath
Whats up guys, I got my corn snake about 2 months ago and am still feeding her the frozen pinkies. I was maybe thinking about trying live mice in the near future but have heard that it might be better to stick with the frozen mice since thats what ive always fed her. What can i or should i do?

Sometimes they will not switch back to frozen/thawed, and there is some risk of the live mouse carrying mites or other parasites detrimental to your snake...Sometimes corns will go off thawed prey only to be "jumpstarted" by using live prey; jmho that's the only reason i'd switch back and forth...The act of constricting live prey over just swallowing dead is beneficial exercise for a corn, especially one living in captive conditions, but so is getting your corn out of it's cage ;*)

ok thanks a lot. i do take her out often so she gets exercise so i think i'll just stick with the dead mice since she seems to like them and so i dont put her at risk for getting anything the live ones may be carrying.

cka said:
Sometimes they will not switch back to frozen/thawed

Believe this... it took me almost 2 months to get mine to go back to F/T after I gave him two live ones to get him eating again after he quit when it got hot.

Just to add on ....

F/T mice don't bite or scratch snakes
F/T mice don't get kids attached to the cute little mice
F/T mice don't jump out of the tubs when you add the snake (had that happen, snake in one hand looking for the mouse, mouse bolting out the door into the room the wife was in)
F/T mice don't need feeding, water or bedding

Back