• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Greetings!

Matthew

-M.P. Stafford
Hello! I'm Matthew, or Matt for short (yep, I'm stating the obvious here).

Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm somewhat of a Grammar Nazi, though my sentence structure is and probably always will be lacking. I apologize beforehand for those of you that are "block" readers like me, as sometimes my stuff doesn't flow as smoothly as it should.

Secondly, I've been a reptile enthusiast for years. I practically lived and breathed books on all types of reptiles in high school, and I try to stay current on all types of reptile care, so that I can lend the local pet stores a hand on proper care. I currently own a Bearded Dragon, "Diamond Back" Leopard Gecko, and a Chinese Water Dragon.

With that said, I do not have a Corn or any snake yet (never have), but I'm steadily progressing to being ready for my first one. I've been doing corn-specific research for several weeks and lurking these forums for several days now. I feel that snakes (in general) are my weakest area in terms of knowledge, handling, and experience so I decided it was time to take a big step and work towards my first one.

"Big", some of you might ask...? Yes, for me it's a large step. Oddly enough, I've always be very timid and unsure of myself when it comes to snakes. Lizards are my forte and I've never hesitated hopping in a Tegu, Monitor, or Beardie enclosure and making fast friends with them. Snakes, though, always leave me in a fit of trepidation.

In any case, moving onwards...pretty sure I've got enclosure, food, temperature, etc nailed down. Once I actually purchase my snake, I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions to better clarify on a few things.

I'm planning on starting a custom double tall enclosure. I recently built one for my Bearded Dragon and had so much fun doing it, thought I'd make one for a Corn as well.

If anyone is curious, this is the one I built for my Bearded Dragon. The double tall would be similar, but suited more towards Corns.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/IceStormSS84/Image41.jpg

Anyway, this has become lengthy enough. That's me and my take in a nutshell. I look forward to spending a lot more time with many of you!

- Matt

PostScript: Any other Indiana snake/herp owners on this board? :)

diamondlil said:
I daren't show my snakes that viv, or they'd want to live with you!

Awww...shucks. Thanks for the compliment. :)

I DO have question, though. More of a matter of opinion for most of you, I'm sure but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't regret it. I'll ask it here and if nobody notices it, I'll make a new thread in Husbandry.

On this wooden enclosure, I'm wanting them to be front openers. I saw that blueapplepaste made his as front openers, but I'm curious as to how many of you use them and how well they work.

I'm really a fan of front opening enclosures for Bearded Dragons and Leo's, but I wanted to make sure I'd not have any serious problems with it.

Thanks in advance,

- Matt

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

I have a Viv with sliding glass doors and its great for me. I prefer them over the top opening aquarium type ones I have seen because you don't have to stretch over to reach down into them, if you see what i mean. To me, its easier for cleaning/etc, plus snakes feel less threatened if you come at them from the sides, rather than the top.
Top opening ones are just as good though, like you said, its more a matter of personal preference.

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of snakes :wavey:

I use wooden vivs with front-opening doors. I have also used the top-opening sort in the past, and I strongly prefer, and recommend, the front-openers. I find it much easier to get in and out to clean, handle my snakes, etc, and it also has a big advantage over a full water bowl - you wouldn't believe what I used to spill lowering a heavy bowl of water down from the top! :grin01:

Thanks for your opinions, guys. They're very much appreciated.

Probably going to swing by the lumber yard/hardware store in the next couple days so I can get started. The Midwest Reptile Show is here March 18th and I want to have it all built and setup with the correct temperatures before I purchase the Corn.

Hopefully someone there will have a Reverse Oketee, which is what I really have my heart set on. They're so unique looking, in my opinion. I do like Lavenders and Blizzards too, though! So hopefully out of those three morphs, I can find one I really like. Wish me luck!

- Matt

Back