• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

hatchling?

n1ck

$null
i just got my albino corn snake about a week ago. i am thinking that shes around 5 or 6 months old. shes approx. 12 inches long and almost as thick as a sharpy marker. dont know much about snakes just set her viv. up and everythign as far as hides on cool and warm side. temps remain at around 85 on warm side and 75 on the cooler side. she hides a lot and i leave her alone until she gets used to being here. my question i suppose is i hear a lot of talk of hatchlings being kinda fussy and afraid......yet i havent exactly heard at what age a snake is no long a "hatchling" ...... little help please.

I think everyone has their own guidelines on that, but I can tell you my personal usage of the terms:

Hatchling: Hatching until 1 year
Yearling/Juvenile: 1 to 2 years
Subadult: > 2 years, but not breeding size
Adult: Breeding size

I basically call hatchlings hatchlings until the new ones start hatching...then they're yearlings. ;)

ok well i was figuring this much. i just hear that the younger stages directly affect how they act as a young adult/adult. i wanna make sure i do everything right now. i just wish she wasnt so shy and would come out. i havnet seen her out once. i put a pinkie in her viv. and she wouldnt even come out for that. finally i had to put it right in front of her after i removed her hidebox and sshe slowly got to it.

Be patient

Its hard to unhide a hider ... but if you are patient enough, you can train them. Do your handling short periods at a time, try to put something with you scent on it in her cage, so shes less jumpy around you. and DONT FEED HER IN HER VIV. Always feed in a different cage....bowl....tupperware....cuttingboard...wherever.

Yes...It will take a while before your little one starts to come out. Some just hide all the time. I would also advise feeding the little one in a seperate container.

Two reasons:

1. So he doesn't eat any bedding that would cause impaction.
2. So he doesn't think everytime you put your hand in the tank you are going to feed him.

thanks a lot for the help....the lady at the pet store recommended this walnut stuff that is supposed to digest just fine if eaten says its fine for snakes on the back but ive also looked into aspen and some other alternatives that ive read about. i just fed her in a different bowl and that helped a lot she took the frozen pinky a lot better in there. on occasion i stick my hand into the viv. and let her smell my hand and move around it, shes getting better at that.....but like i say small steps - only had her not even a week yet. but thanks for the help i have a feeling this will be a good experience, my first snake and all! she is beautiful the colors of an albino are very eye catching.

No problem...Glad I could help you out!

As far as bedding, I also use Aspen. It has a nice clean smell, and I clean it out about every 3-4 weeks. However, I do spot clean about every two days. My snakes love the Aspen because they can burrow underneath the bedding and make all sorts of cool tunnels and stuff... :)

yea, snakes arent liek a dog u cant really buy them toys. i mean i have things for her to climb on and so on and so forth but other than that theres no much to do so i suppose if she has fun in her bedding then theres a bonus. i will try the aspen the next time i clean out the viv. what about humidity? i hear its a good aide in shedding but other than that time should i keep it pretty humid in there? i spray with my mr. mister quite a bit.... the other thing is i guy suggest (in solving the hider problem) to remove hide boxes occasionaly to force her out to explore and see that its safe.. she doesnt come out at all. i took her hide boxes out and she actually climbed up on her branch i have for her and other things.i was happy to see her being active. :crazy02:

I wouldn't keep it too humid in there...I don't spray my tank at all. My humidity level is around 45%. When I know my snake is in his/her blue phase, I take them out for about 5 mins a night a soak them in a little bit of warm water. You don't want to keep the bedding real humid.

As far as taking the hid boxes out, I personally would not do it. It would cause the snake to have all kinds of undue stress.

alright thanks buddy well im outa here gonna go watch the movie Troy! thanks for the help. have a good night all.

Back