• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help with Genetic stuff

Tormoni

Hello, I am thinking of purchasing a Male Normal Motley het Amel possible het caramel and I was wondering, I have an Amel (was sold to us a creamsickle, but I think it’s just Amel) and I have a snow, both are females.
Not sure if they are het for anything…
What can I expect to get out of mating?

I know very little about genetics, but from what I’ve read so far on the forum and other sites, I've came up with these calculations...(assuming my females aren't het for anything)

I would get about 75% Normal het Amel, Anery, and Motley, and 25% Amel het Anery and Motley when mated with the Snow…
and
I would get about 75% Normal het Amel and Motley, and 25% Amel het Motley when mated with the Amel…

How close am I??

As far as the possible het caramel, what would I have to mate it with to determine if he actually holds the caramel gene?

This forum is so helpful, thanks in advance!!
Torm

the calculations look ok to me, but I am not expert.

As far as proving the caramel, the best thing would be to get a full blooded caramel, and you will have the chance at producing caramels. If you breed a het caramel with a Amel het caramel, you could expect caramel het Amel.

If you bought the amel as a creamsicle, that's what it is. It's a creamsicle, not an amel just because you think it looks like an amel. The term creamsicle implies emory blood in the snake, and it needs to stay as a 'creamsicle'.

If you bought the amel as a creamsicle, that's what it is. It's a creamsicle, not an amel just because you think it looks like an amel. The term creamsicle implies emory blood in the snake, and it needs to stay as a 'creamsicle'.

I understand I bought him as a creamsickle, however, this was bought from a pet shop in the mall, and I'm thinking the pet shop wanted to stick a name on him and found the closest looking picture match... I recently saw a corn they had for sale and they labeled it as a "Christmas Corn" looked too much like a normal to me... They did correctly label a Snow Corn, but those are pretty easy...

I have attached a few pics of our "Creamsickle"... Every pic I have ever seen of a Creamsickle lacked most of it's white, had mostly orange and yellow, this one has ever thickening white borders... Then again, I am fairly new at this also, and I may be wrong...

Attachments

• Karmel.jpg
    Karmel.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Karmel2.JPG
    Karmel2.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Karmel3.JPG
    Karmel3.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 101
Tormoni said:
I understand I bought him as a creamsickle, however, this was bought from a pet shop in the mall, and I'm thinking the pet shop wanted to stick a name on him and found the closest looking picture match... I recently saw a corn they had for sale and they labeled it as a "Christmas Corn" looked too much like a normal to me... They did correctly label a Snow Corn, but those are pretty easy...

I have attached a few pics of our "Creamsickle"... Every pic I have ever seen of a Creamsickle lacked most of it's white, had mostly orange and yellow, this one has ever thickening white borders... Then again, I am fairly new at this also, and I may be wrong...

I just want to apologize for coming off a bit harsh in my last post to you about this issue. A lot of people just disregard the whole hybrid issue and it gets under my skin.

I would assume that the pet store is simply naming them what the breeder told them that they were. Most pet stores do not have a clue when it comes to cornsnake morphs, or genetics. In fact, I'd bet if you went back and asked them what a 'creamsicle', 'snow', or 'christmas' corn were, they would have no idea. If it were me, I would assume that the snake was a creamsicle and the pet store was simply passing on the name the snake was given when it was shipped to them.

One final thing about creams. Creamsicles are a general term for an amelanistic cornsnake that has ANY emory blood in them. Whether it be 50%, or 5%, it's still a creamsicle. Normal 50/50 mixes do appear to be a yellow/orangish color, and when the amount of emory blood decreases they look more 'amel' like.

Regardless, you either have a nice reverse okeetee, or a nice creamsicle reverse okeetee.

I agree with Joe.

If the amel was sold to you as a creamsicle, then you really do need to keep it labeled as such. MANY creams that have less than half emoryi, look more like regular amels. That does not make "not" a cream. ALL of the babies you get from them need to be sold as having emoryi blood in them.

Your other calculations seem correct.

Tormoni said:
Hello, I am thinking of purchasing a Male Normal Motley het Amel possible het caramel and I was wondering, I have an Amel (was sold to us a creamsickle, but I think it’s just Amel) and I have a snow, both are females.
Not sure if they are het for anything…
What can I expect to get out of mating?

You can "cross-multiply" on the included notation to calculate the results for yourself. :)

Motley het amel X Amel
m<sup>m</sup>·m<sup>m</sup> A<sup>+</sup>·a<sup>a</sup> X
M<sup>+</sup>·M<sup>+</sup> a<sup>a</sup>·a<sup>a</sup>
gives:
50% amel het motley M<sup>+</sup>·m<sup>m</sup> a<sup>a</sup>·a<sup>a</sup>
50% normal het amel and motley M<sup>+</sup>·m<sup>m</sup> A<sup>+</sup>·a<sup>a</sup>

Motley het amel X Snow
m<sup>m</sup>·m<sup>m</sup> A<sup>+</sup>·a<sup>a</sup> An<sup>+</sup>·An<sup>+</sup> X
M<sup>+</sup>·M<sup>+</sup> a<sup>a</sup>·a<sup>a</sup> an<sup>a</sup>·an<sup>a</sup>
gives:
50% amel het motley and anery M<sup>+</sup>·m<sup>m</sup> a<sup>a</sup>·a<sup>a</sup> An<sup>+</sup>·an<sup>a</sup>
50% normal het amel and motley and anery M<sup>+</sup>·m<sup>m</sup> A<sup>+</sup>·a<sup>a</sup> An<sup>+</sup>·an<sup>a</sup>

If the motley is het for caramel, the offspring will also be possibly het for caramel, each having a 50% chance of being het. If the motley is not het, the offspring will be not het for caramel. :)

That creamsicle looks just as mine young ones from crossing candy cream (emori blood) with amel.
creamsicle would be the right name

picture of an creamsicle (reverse okeetee)

Attachments

• Afbeelding 089~1.jpg
    Afbeelding 089~1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 71
Is Butter a possibility??

I read on a website that Carmel + Amel = Butter

Now, IF my new male is het for Caramel and he is mated with either of my corns which give the Amel gene, wouldn't it be possible to get a butter out of some of the babies? (if the male is indeed het for Caramel)
:cheers:

Tormoni said:
I read on a website that Carmel + Amel = Butter

Now, IF my new male is het for Caramel and he is mated with either of my corns which give the Amel gene, wouldn't it be possible to get a butter out of some of the babies? (if the male is indeed het for Caramel)
:cheers:
In order for a snake to express amel, both parents have to be carrying the gene (and have passed it to that individual)

The same applies to Caramel.

If a snake is not a carrier for a particular recessive gene, it can not produce that morph no matter what you breed it to.

Just remember that BOTH parents must have at least one copy of each gene for the possibility of producing said morph.

If you want butter, each snake must have at least one caramel gene and one amel gene.

Back