• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Herpetelogical Stuff...

ronlina

Has anyone here gotten into actually studying herps or gotten a job (obviously other than, yaknow, breeding) based on it? I'm really interested in entering that kind of work but don't really want to become a vetrinarian, and have no idea where to start. Maybe entering zoology and concentrating on reptiles? I'm just curious, and interested, how people end up working with reptiles as a career.

I can't help you.. but I'm also curious. When I was in highschool, I did a lot of searching for schools that I could major in zoology in.. but I couldn't figure out how I'd land a job working with reptiles. I gave up on it, for the time being.

I went to Virginia Tech's College of Natural Resources. I was a natural resource recreation major first (the human side of recreation) and hated that because, well, it dealt with humans.

So I switched to Fisheries and was very happy working that, had a blast finishing my degree there. Loved the labs and everything about the school (even more aparent now in my ****** masters program!)

They also have a wildlife major, and several people I know chose to focus on herpetology as wildlife majors. I actually once worked as a volunteer crawling through the woods catching newts in the Blue Ridge Mountains to help out a herpetology grad student.

If you are interested in VT, here is the LINK to the College of Natural Resources.

BTW... I recieve NO alumni benefits, like free football tickets, since I am a mere peon, not making enough to buy buildings for the school. So when I tell you that the CNR there rocks, it's a totally unbiased opinion- and the rockin' football team is just another bonus.

Well, I can't give you any advice from the perspective of someone who works with reptiles (because I don't), but I do feel like I have some perspective on the subject in general. I'll warn you that my only credentials are that I'm a senior studying Integrative Biology.

*As a warning, I haven't proofread this response (only spell-checked) so if anything sounds awkward or doesn't make sense that's why.

Obviously, I'm not sure what juncture you are at: whether you are still picking a school, already enrolled, etc. But there are still a few general tips that I can give.

1) Don't worry if you can't find a school that has a program specifically for herpetology/zoology or even if they are strong in those as general subjects.

Many schools these days have different names for their programs. Here at the U of I Integrative Biology is the standard for all general biological subjects. Entomology, herpetology, ecology, etc., etc...all fall within "Integrative Biology". I have known several people interested in herpetology and even graduate students studying herpetology and, if I'm correct, the U of I only offers one "herpetology" class.
So you don't have to go to a special school that is supposedly very strong in your subject or has many course offerings. Of course, it is always great if you have that opportunity.

2) Don't trick yourself into thinking that you have to have a degree in 'x' to get job 'y'. In some fields of study, a degree in a specific subject is very important if not required. For the most part, biology and the related fields are different in that there is quite a bit of overlap.
I can't even count the number of professors I've had or met that didn't major in the same sort of thing that they now teach and research. One of my bosses even majored in physics and now researches and teaches population genetics.:)

To get into vet school around here you can major in a few different things and still be eligible to get in. My sister went the animal sciences route. I could easily apply to Vet School from Integrative Biology.
So don't be too worried about finding just the right thing to study.

IMO, one of the great things about biology is that it is so versatile. As an undergrad I can take classes in a very wide range of topics (and I have:D). I haven't "speciliazed" in any one subject (ecology, ornithology, ichthyology, etc) but I can still easily go on to be an ornithologist or ichthyologist.
Of course, it is always helpful to be interested in and take as many classes in a particular subject as possible if they are offered and it is what you really want to go into.
It's interesting to consider that I'm sure there have been many, many graduates of the U of I who consider themselves bird people or herp people or fungus people, but in large part there is only one major course offered in each of those subjects.;)

Basically, I'm just saying that it's not always necessary to finish you're undergrad degree with a long list of classes all in one subject (herpetology, for instance) if you want to work with herps...which brings me to my last and biggest piece of advice

3) Get work EXPERIENCE! Take any opportunity you can get to find work in the field in which you are interested. Having work experience does two main things along with lots of other little perks:
a) It teaches you. You will learn a lot and gain many skills that you will benefit from in the future. This is especially good for complimenting your course work. If your school only offers one or two courses in herpetology, but you've been working for a professor that researches herps, then you've already got your foot in the door and you've got lots of experience with herps.
b) It makes you much more appealing as a job applicant or a grad/vet school applicant. Imagine all the kids who graduate with degrees but have never once worked in a lab or in the field. Then you come along with the same degree AND with lots of valuable work experience and you're much more likely to get consideration.

Of course, you also get other perks. Networking is a big thing that can help you out in the future. Whether you have a job working with a professor in a lab or in the field or work for the Dept. of Nat. Resources, you can build-up a network of people who you know and who have trust in you and you're abilities. This is helpful not only for the future when you're looking for your first job after school but also for letters of recommendation and job references.

You can find work anywhere. It could be at school with a professor, at the DNR, a local zoo, animal shelter....wherever.

I've been very lucky with regards to work. I've been working in a molecular biology lab for two years now learning all sorts of lab techniques. At the end of the first school year I was offered the opportunity to work on my own independent project.:) Since this wasn't enough for me, I also got a part-time job in another lab where I get to culture cells. All in all, I've accumulated a lot of experience in a wide range of things between the two labs. My resume/curriculum vitae would be virtually non-existant if it weren't for those two jobs.

Hopefully, you can make sense of what I've said and it's of some use.:)

I have found out many places just require a Bachelor of Science and some experience. That being the case, you would work your way into higher positions with herps from getting more experience like with hots, and such. Zwyatt had some good advice.

I am kinda thinking about switching my major from Business to Zoology or something since I found out many places dont require you to have a masters.

Testykalz said:
I am kinda thinking about switching my major from Business to Zoology or something since I found out many places dont require you to have a masters.

Definitely make the switch :grin01:

It's true that a lot of places don't require anything beyond a 4 year degree. However, putting in the few extra years can really be worth it. In biology and related fields these days, having that extra degree can really open doors as there are more and more places in need of experienced individuals with advanced degrees.

The other thing I wanted to mention is the use of the term "zoology". This is a term I see used a lot and it's a perfectly good term. From what I've seen it isn't used as much as in the past. Many schools don't use it as the official term anymore. This is just a note not to get discouraged or confused if someone is looking around at schools and can't find "Zoology" as a field of study.

zwyatt said:
3) Get work EXPERIENCE! Take any opportunity you can get to find work in the field in which you are interested. Having work experience does two main things along with lots of other little perks:
a) It teaches you. You will learn a lot and gain many skills that you will benefit from in the future. This is especially good for complimenting your course work. If your school only offers one or two courses in herpetology, but you've been working for a professor that researches herps, then you've already got your foot in the door and you've got lots of experience with herps.
b) It makes you much more appealing as a job applicant or a grad/vet school applicant. Imagine all the kids who graduate with degrees but have never once worked in a lab or in the field. Then you come along with the same degree AND with lots of valuable work experience and you're much more likely to get consideration.
Every zoo in the country has a docent program.

These are volunteers that work in the different departments.

My gf was a docent for three years (i coiuld be wrong, but a dang long time)
and she now works at Nashville Zoo at Grassmere as a Zookeeper.

Her degree is in Biology, and she's been to Panama (not the city) and Costa Rica on research projects.

Incidentally, she also did a research project on Colorado hallucinogenic fungi,
but don't tell her school. They might frown on professors taking students on that kind of "educational" experience...

I have to tell all of you, that this is the most valuable response to any querstion I've randombly thought of asking. Extra thanks to Zwyatt, that was one huge post, with so much information in it. This is all really good to know, i wasn't even sure where to start or how things worked with regards to degrees/programs..

completely awesome. thanks :D

I think what you choose to pursue has a lot to do with whether you want to go into academia and research reptiles (or research using reptiles) or do more of a zoo type thing. I don't know much about the zoo route. There's no zoo or volunteer caretaking necessary for the academia route, but there are a lot of herpetology field schools you can enroll in that will give you a leg up when you want to get into graduate school. You have to pay for field schools, but they are an awesome time in fun places like central America, and where you will spend time catching and learning about things from a herpetology professor who gets paid very little (barely enough to cover expenses of getting there) to teach you a whole lot. Beware, though, some of those herp people don't do laundry as often as they should! LOL! La Suerte Biological Field Station, in Costa Rica, usually has a herpetology field school every summer. I"m sure there are many others, but that's one I know of personally.

I'm glad you got some use out of it. If you (or anyone else) have any more questions regarding school or anything related don't be afraid to ask/PM me.
I know I had a lot of questions in the past similar to what you asked, and those types of things just can't be googled to get answers. I'm happy to help out on those types of things whenever I can.

Back