• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hog Feed?

Dirk94

Would hog feed pellets with these specifications work well for mice?

protein - 15%
Fat- 3%
fiber- 5%

Not 100% sure of any other specs yet, I can check it out when i actually go to the tractor supply store. But is that a good amount of those three nutrients?

Also, for pregnant females, would a dog food with these specs work?

Protein - 22%
Fat - 12%
Fiber - 6%

Thanks,
--Mike

Would hog feed pellets with these specifications work well for mice?

protein - 15%
Fat- 3%
fiber- 5%

Not 100% sure of any other specs yet, I can check it out when i actually go to the tractor supply store. But is that a good amount of those three nutrients?

Also, for pregnant females, would a dog food with these specs work?

Protein - 22%
Fat - 12%
Fiber - 6%

Thanks,
--Mike

I would look more at the ingredients, before you look at the specs. If you are seeing a lot of stuff like molasses and such, that is used to fatten up Hogs, you may want to pass. It is a good idea to have a protein rich food, but be careful with fat content. Fat mice, make fat snakes.

Wayne

Thanks,
I haven't been to the actual TSC yet, I have only browsed their site, and it only gives that info on the site. When I go to buy bedding I'll take a look at the ingredients and such.

Thanks,
--Mike

Right and good. I only suggest it, because my wife makes up her own feed for her rodents. She breeds them for shows, feeders and for pets. She is always reading about different things to help them be, healthier. Sometimes, the animal feeds are made up of primarily corn. Not a great base for rodents. When you look for ingredients, make sure they are made mostly of grain and there aren't any added (animal specific) hormones or vitamins, that could affect your rodents.

Ssshhhh! Don't tell my wife I told you this, but look at the horse feeds. It's one of her secrets. You may have to look for some other things to add, like seeds and stuff, but it's a good base.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Right and good. I only suggest it, because my wife makes up her own feed for her rodents. She breeds them for shows, feeders and for pets. She is always reading about different things to help them be, healthier. Sometimes, the animal feeds are made up of primarily corn. Not a great base for rodents. When you look for ingredients, make sure they are made mostly of grain and there aren't any added (animal specific) hormones or vitamins, that could affect your rodents.

Ssshhhh! Don't tell my wife I told you this, but look at the horse feeds. It's one of her secrets. You may have to look for some other things to add, like seeds and stuff, but it's a good base.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Rat Lady and Snake Man lol! Match made in heaven :rofl:

Rat Lady and Snake Man lol! Match made in heaven :rofl:

I just love it, cause my hobby devours her hobby, literally!! LOL!! :rofl:

No really, she is great! I just know that because she has so much invested in her rodents, that my snakes are eating some top of the line stuff. Almost like veal! Both Nutritional and Beautiful! LOL!

Wayne

No really, she is great! I just know that because she has so much invested in her rodents, that my snakes are eating some top of the line stuff. Almost like veal! Both Nutritional and Beautiful! LOL!

Wayne

:roflmao:!!! I'm surprised she lets you feed you snakes her rodents. Congrats on such a great wife! Now I just have to see if I can get my girlfriend into rodent breeding:rolleyes: lol

Wayne

What else is new............

Anyway yes, I use Rider but that's because I add so much more..Show time I use Charger or Mare and Foal. There are molasses in the horse feed and I don't see a real big issue with it for mice and gerbils. It's Hamsters you have to watch out for as many are diabetic and you don't know it.

What would concern me first with farm feed is are there any medicated ingredient in it. I also toss in some gamebird crumbles but I have to make sure it's the non medicated kind. You can also look into sheep or goat feed. If your producing mice for feeders I'd get something of a show mix or breeders mix like mare and foal for the horse feed or for sheep/goats I'd try Shepherd 16 Pels, Lamb Finisher Pels, Meat Goat Grow & Finish DC Pellet. For the pigs you can try Pig and Sow Pellets. I also use like a cup of sunshine plus in a 25lb tub of other mixes, not just by itself. That's the finisher I use mostly for coats and such just before show but that might not count in your case :wink: I would also mix these mixes with a cockateil feed as well as rolled oats "like Quaker" but the feed store does sell bags of oatmeal rolled oats. I feed the bulk every other day and in between the RMH blocks or the mazuri lab blocks. whichever. It all balances out nice. You can also add anything else to the mix like bunny hutch, puppy kibble "natural color" or even offer a dog biscuit to replace the blocks if you wish. But I wouldn't only feed the farm pellets to the mice. They need asst bulk.. Heck they love my kids PB &J crusts :winks: Old unsweetened cereals like cheerios and the list can go on. Stay clear of acids like tomatoes, oranges and such.. NO Guinea pig pellets.

A regular house mouse pet would need at least 14% protein to live healthy. A show or breeding mouse with pups and FOR pups would need at least 18% protein. Protein - 22% is a bit much for a only soul diet and why other bulk feeds like the seeds are to be added to cut it all down. I use 2 cups of dog kibble for the 25lb bin and I break it all up with a mallet. Other wise your going to get fatty tissue lumpy mice and if any of the mice have brindle genes "recessive yellow, or fawn" your going to have WOOT! fat mice that won't breed. Better off to stay clear of brindle lines anyway if looking to also produce feeder pups.

Hope that helps some.

P.s I've had mice and gerbils for over 10yrs :wink: the snakes came as you can't always place some mice as pets and then again so others that just don't make the show cut... It can also be easy to eliminate a colony if the project is not going to what your looking for.. ~Circle of Life~

Thanks MedusCorns and medusacoils!
That was a lot of helpful information. I will look into the ingredients of the hog feed. I just considered it because I read somewhere on these forums that someone was using hog pellets. Anyways, thanks for the horse feed tip medusacoils! I'll look into that, and also browse around the interwebs for good homemade mixes.

Thanks all,
--Mike

Back