• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hognose snake?

mwr920

Does anyone have any experience with these snakes? I've had my cornsnake for a while now, and was wondering if these snakes make good pets for a novice.

i have very little expierience with snakes but western hognose are the most common in the pet trade. their fairly tempered from wat i've read and herd, but like all snake they may bite and since they are rear fanged they have very suttle(if thats the word) venom, if they bite u may get a little swelling. so there good for begginer/novice but tollerate less husbanry mistakes. so do ur reaseach. :cheers: :rolleyes:

Hognose have become very popular because of their small size, and mannerisms and because they are so darn cute. I keep them and would not call them a beginner snake. Go to any hognose forum and see how many feeding questions there are. I've seen perfectly healthy hognose that where feeding well just stop eating and starve to death. If you can put up with the feeding issues they are great snakes to work with. But they are not for beginners in my opinion.

Hi!
In addition to my lovely cornsnakes (38), I have some western hoggies as well (5). They are, IMO very easy to care for (like corns), and are super-cute--see pic of my male, Stumpy. They are not 'striking' snakes that I have ever seen. When they feel threatened, they flatten themselves and make funny noises--like spitting. I have NEVER been bitten by one. Their mouths are so tiny, I'm not sure I'd feel it if I were. I have not had issues with feeding. All of mine are on F/T. Hatchlings prefer live--(or at least wiggling) sometimes scented with anole or other lizard(as some stubborn corn hatchlings do). I would say if you have at least SOME snake experience, you shouldn't have a problem. I would purchase from a reputable breeder, such as: www.albinohognose.com
Hope this helps....

Attachments

• Stumpy.JPG
    Stumpy.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 38
out of curiousety, how big do they grow? i have seen them in reptile stores as baby's, i may think about getting one as i'l have room in my new viv stack :crazy02: considering it!!!!

Back