• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you heat the cold side?

mwr920

This really isn't an issue now, but with fall coming and the temperature dropping, I was wondering how to heat the cold side, because it's going to fall to about 65 degrees when winter comes around. Right now I have a UTH under one side of the tank, and it's about 85 on the hot side.

Hi there. What's the current difference between the cold end of the tank and the room temp? Will the room be heated at all over winter?

the cold side is 74 and the warm side is 85...the house in the winter is going to be about 68 is that too cold?

Sounds good - 68 should be fine as long as you maintain a steady 85 at the warm side. The cool end of the tank will probably be a couple of degrees higher than room temp as you'll get residual heat transferring from the warm side.

you will probably be ok, but my apartment gets too cold in the winter for my snakes (I have no heat!) so I have another UTH with a thermostat on the cool end of each tank to keep the temp up. I keep it set at about 74, but without it the temps get down to the low 60's. Works for me... :)

if you have an open-top viv, like me, it can help a LOT to throw something over the screen top, like a sweatshirt, or a sheet of plastic, that will hold heat in to increase ambient temp. I think if the room is 68, we'll be hard pressed to keep an open-top viv at 85 in any part, and 75 may be tough when the lights go out.
This may also increase humidity, I'm not sure.
My sister has done this for her anole (pet, not food, lol) and it kept plenty warm. I don't think that it'll hold enough air in that the snake will not have enough oxygen.
I may also put a small electric heater in my snakes room. does anyone with experience have an opinion?

In winter my house gets very cool, so I use a heat lamp set in the middle of the tank to heat the cool end to 72 or so. The warm end stays in the 80's too, so it works great. In the summer I turn it off. I only have it on during the day though. At night, I allow the temps to drop to better simulate the outdoors, and if they need to get warm, they can go to the warm side with the UTH. Most often I find them on the cool side, and they just wait for the heat lamp to kick on and then go warm themselves.

Hey Meg, do you find that your snakes like to bask under the lamp? I've been thinking about trying this myself but haven't gotten around to it yet. How hot does it get directly under your lamp?

They don't normally bask too much, but they do come out and move around as the air temp gets warmer from the lamp. I believe the temp directly under the lamp was about 90 degrees if it was shining straight down. I usually kept it slightly off the straight line to keep the temps in the high 80's.

Back