• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just like kids

Triple M

Is it just me or do your snakes have to play with there food a little bit before they eat it. My little guy will bite it more than once and almost throw it around.

Most of mine just go straight to town on their mice (they sometimes do reposition if they get it at an odd angle). We noticed one last feed though attempting to bite the legs off her fuzzy before finally swallowing it.

That is cute sounding!
I have to say that all mine just swallow their mice pretty straight away.

I have heard other people's tales of snakes playing with their food, though.

One of mine likes to sniff around the mouse first sometimes. Other times, she just eats it.

Mine just rushed at me putting his food in like he was starved bit it like he was just trying it out and backed up till I got his 2 pinkies and 1 fuzzy on his dish and then he proceeded to 'bite' or more like 'mouth' each one like he was trying em out. Then he proceeded to devour the 2 pinkies and left the fuzzy....maybe he doesn't like the feel of the fur.....? Although I guess he's been eating adult mice at his old home...
I guess he's just bein a wierdo!

Ah yes; odd snake behavior.....

When Cornelia was younger she would not eat unless she kept some of her rear wrapped around my fingers. Finally convinced her that snakes should feed without 'hand holding'. Now she's past 2.5 years old, but on some occasions she will not eat her mouse unless I am nearby; that is, she will strike and constrict, but abandon it if I walk away. Just seems not to grasp the concept that most snakes prefer to eat alone. Of course she generally greets me when I get in, standing straight up until I open the vivarium and let her cruise up my arm.

I feed her with 15" feeding tongs. In general she's a mellow little girl, and almost insists on being handled or just hanging out everyday. Also seems anxious to interact with new people. Example: a friend was visiting from Slovakia, and Cornie allowed herself to be handled, and was quite calm the whole time. It was the first time that Eva had ever handled any sort of reptile.

She's just a very social snake, perhaps?:idea:

Mine looks at it like "Why are you dangling this naked baby mouse around like I'm suppose to be interested in it?" - and then usually goes into a "Dude, seriously... get that thing out of my tub" type posture... Followed by a hiss / spitting semi-strike - which seems to be more of anger than hunger.

Needless to say, I have not had a successful feeding yet... :(

My snake picks up the scent, goes into "hunting mode" (so cute!!), then noses the mouse. She will usually circle it a couple of times, nosing it every once in a while, then strikes the mouse's side and repositions her mouth to swallow the mouse head first. Then once she starts swallowing, she puts her head and about 6 inches of her body into the air and swallows the mouse like that! Crazy girl. She does not constrict.

Back