• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Keeps striking at me

HAUZEY

Underoath
I just got my first cornsnake last wed. june 15th and he's a hatchling, if thats what the term is. The store told me he could be fed so i fed him thursday. i had him out a few times before i fed him and he was fine but since i fed him, everytime i go near him to pick him up he strikes at me. it took him a bit longer to digest the pinky than it should have and im wondering if that might have anything to do with it. any advice on what i should do would be great. thanks

Well for starters, you got bad advice from the get go.

You should have left the snake alone for about a week to let it settle in. Offering it food right away is usually a good recipe for a regurge.

I'm surprised that it ate and kept it down.

Leave the snake alone for a week. It's still defensive about being in it's new home and still feels threatened.

After a week you can start taking it out and getting it use to gentle handling.

will do. thanks a lot for getting back to me so quickly. what should i do about feeding it though?

After the acclimation period (the time that you leave him alone) if he still strikes just cup him in your hands until he calms down...you'll feel his body relax. Whatever you do, don't put him down because you will send him the message that if he strikes he gets put down.

HAUZEY said:
will do. thanks a lot for getting back to me so quickly. what should i do about feeding it though?

Personally I'd leave him alone this week and offer him food again next week. It's not going to hurt him to go without food for a week.

I was told that you should take the snake out of the cage and put him in something else to feed him so he dosent associate opening the cage with food. should i still take him out when i feed or should i leave him alone until the week is up? feeding him once a week would mean i'd feed him thursday.

HAUZEY said:
I was told that you should take the snake out of the cage and put him in something else to feed him so he dosent associate opening the cage with food. should i still take him out when i feed or should i leave him alone until the week is up? feeding him once a week would mean i'd feed him thursday.

Next time you feed him you can take him out and put him into another container for feeding.

I'm saying don't feed this Thursday. Let him be until next Thursday and feed then.

:-offtopic Is it law that all pet stores must feed on Thursday??
All posts that I've read about people buying corns from p/s state this,
odd?? Same thing was told to me where I bought my baby corn.
And all the other wrong information.
I thankful for this forum and everyones knowledge.

Lennycorn said:
:-offtopic Is it law that all pet stores must feed on Thursday??
All posts that I've read about people buying corns from p/s state this,
odd?? Same thing was told to me where I bought my baby corn.
And all the other wrong information.
I thankful for this forum and everyones knowledge.

So true. Maybe it is so the snakes can have time to digest and still be handled by monday? :shrugs:

Yeah, I thought that.
But you would think to feed on Monday or Tuesday so you can handle them on the weekends when people have time to come in, and no poop by then.

Feed on Thurdays

Feed on Thurdays :shrugs: Ha!

Back